1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Modulation of Sinusoids in Matlab (Frequency Domain Problems)

1. Sep 26, 2010 #1
    The Problem
    Hi, I am trying to modulate two sinusoids in Matlab. I have some
    and some
    , where fx and fc are different frequencies. I then modulate them together, using dot multiplication,
    . I then plot each in the time domain using
    and I obtained the correct solution. The problem comes with plotting the Fourier Transform of the resulting signal.

My Attempt
    I have let some xf , yf, and zf be each of the signals in the magnitude domain. I let
    (getting the one-sided magnitude spectrum of x). N is the length of my time vector. The same is done for y and z.

I know I have to compute my "x-axis", and not just plot xf/yf/zf, but even when plotting them I know I *should* get two spikes each in x and y, and four spikes in the resulting modulated signal. The problem is my modulated signal only has two spikes.

I don't want to post an exact homework question here, but rather understand what I am doing wrong in Matlab to get this incorrect answer. If I let fx = 10 and fc = 2, the modulated signal (one-sided) should show spikes at -2, 2, 8,12 (we won't see the -2 in the one-sided).

Thank you for the help, and please let me know if I need to post more information, or be clearer on the question.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  2. jcsd
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted