Mössbauer Effect: Remembering an Advanced Lab Experiment

• Thread starter dlgoff
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a past experience with Mössbauer spectroscopy in an undergraduate physics course. The experiment involved sending a small Fe sample to a small nuclear reactor on campus, which was later dismantled due to public controversy. The participants reminisce about their time in the course and discuss searching for old paperwork related to the experiment.
dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Mössbauer effect
I've been thinking back to my undergraduate courses in physics. One course, Advanced Lab, required sending a small Fe sample to the core of a small nuclear reactor just off campus, then run it back to the lab before it decayed to much to observe the Mössbauer effect. That reactor had to be dismantled a few years later due to public controversy. :oldcry: Now I'm going to search through some boxes to see if I still have the write up to that experiment. Those were the good old times. :oldlove:

Likes Najib, dRic2 and Astronuc
Engineering news on Phys.org
dlgoff said:
Summary:: Mössbauer effect

Now I'm going to search through some boxes to see if I still have the write up to that experiment. Those were the good old times.
I did Mössbauer spectroscopy in an undergrad physics lab course. I probably too still have the paperwork.

Likes dlgoff
Astronuc said:
I did Mössbauer spectroscopy in an undergrad physics lab course.
Did you use Fe also? How did you make it radioactive? Just curious.

dlgoff said:
Did you use Fe also? How did you make it radioactive? Just curious.
I don't remember, but Mn comes to mind. I'd have to find the paperwork.

Astronuc said:
I don't remember, but Mn comes to mind. I'd have to find the paperwork.
That's okay. Knowing you did the experiment is cool enough.

dlgoff said:
That's okay. Knowing you did the experiment is cool enough.
That was 43+ years ago.

Over the years, I've come across some of the paperwork from back then, but I have so much now stored in various boxes, and my library and number of storage boxes have grown considerably over 4+ decades.

• Love
Likes dlgoff
Astronuc said:
That was 43+ years ago.

Over the years, I've come across some of the paperwork from back then, but I have so much now stored in various boxes, and my library and number of storage boxes have grown considerably over 4+ decades.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm not telling how many years ago it was for me though. :)

1. What is the Mössbauer Effect?

The Mössbauer Effect is a nuclear phenomenon discovered by Rudolf Mössbauer in 1958. It involves the recoilless emission and absorption of gamma rays by atomic nuclei in a solid material.

2. How does the Mössbauer Effect work?

When a gamma ray is emitted by an atomic nucleus, it carries away a small amount of momentum. In most cases, this momentum is transferred to the entire nucleus, causing it to recoil. However, in certain materials and under specific conditions, the momentum can be transferred to the entire solid instead, allowing the nucleus to emit the gamma ray without recoil. This is known as the Mössbauer Effect.

3. What is the purpose of conducting a Mössbauer Effect experiment?

The Mössbauer Effect can provide valuable information about the properties of a material, such as its crystal structure, magnetic and electric fields, and chemical environment. By studying the gamma rays emitted and absorbed by the nuclei, scientists can gain insight into the behavior and interactions of atoms in a solid material.

4. What are the steps involved in a Mössbauer Effect experiment?

The first step is to prepare a sample of the material to be studied, which may involve creating a thin film or embedding it in a matrix. The sample is then placed in a specialized apparatus, such as a Mössbauer spectrometer, which allows for precise measurement of the gamma rays emitted and absorbed by the nuclei. The experiment is typically conducted at very low temperatures to minimize thermal effects. The data collected is then analyzed to determine the properties of the material.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Mössbauer Effect?

The Mössbauer Effect has been used in a variety of fields, including materials science, geology, and archaeology. It has been used to study the properties of minerals, identify the composition of rocks and meteorites, and even analyze ancient artifacts. It is also used in the development of new materials, such as superconductors, and in the study of nuclear physics and astrophysics.