Molar Gibbs Energy: 25{\circ} C Expansion Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the change in molar Gibbs energy for a perfect gas as it expands isothermally and reversibly. The equation \Delta G = RT \ln \Big{(}\dfrac{V_i}{V_f}\Big{)} is used, where R is the gas constant, T is the temperature, and V_i and V_f are the initial and final molar volumes. The calculated value of \Delta G is -2010.15 kJ/mol, but it is noted that the units should be in \text{kJ}\cdot \text{mol}^{-1}. The conversation also mentions that the derivation of the equation is believed to be correct.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

Calculate the change in the molar Gibbs energy of a perfect gas when it expands isothermally and reversibly at a temperature of [itex]25{\circ} C[/itex]from a molar volume of [itex]4 \, \text{dm}^3[/itex] to a molar volume of [itex]9 \, \text{dm}^3[/itex]

Homework Equations

I derived the following equation

[tex]\Delta G = RT \ln \Big{(}\dfrac{V_i}{V_f}\Big{)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\Delta G = (8.314)(298.15)\ln \Big{(}\dfrac{4}{9}\Big{)}=-2010.15 \, \text{kJ/mol}[/tex]

But apparently this is incorrect, I don't see what I did wrong. I'm fairly certain my derivation is correct.

Edit: [itex]\Delta G = -2.01 \, \text{kJ/mol}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry the answer is not incorrect, it's simply units. I read the answer has to be in [itex]\text{KJ}\cdot \text{mol}^{-1}[/itex]

What is molar Gibbs energy?

Molar Gibbs energy is a thermodynamic quantity that represents the amount of energy available for a chemical reaction to occur at constant temperature and pressure. It is denoted by the symbol G and is measured in units of joules per mole (J/mol).

What does the subscript "25°C" mean in the context of molar Gibbs energy?

The subscript "25°C" indicates that the calculation is being performed at a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius, which is the standard temperature for many thermodynamic calculations.

What is the significance of the term "expansion calculation" in relation to molar Gibbs energy?

The term "expansion calculation" refers to the calculation of the change in molar Gibbs energy due to a change in volume or pressure. This is important in understanding how a system will respond to changes in its surroundings.

How is molar Gibbs energy calculated at 25°C?

Molar Gibbs energy at 25°C can be calculated using the equation G = H - TS, where H is enthalpy, T is temperature in Kelvin, and S is entropy. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the equation G = ∆G° + RTln(Q), where ∆G° is the standard Gibbs energy change, R is the gas constant, and Q is the reaction quotient.

What are some applications of molar Gibbs energy calculations?

Molar Gibbs energy calculations are used in various fields such as chemistry, physics, and engineering to predict and analyze the thermodynamic behavior of chemical reactions and systems. They are also important in understanding phase transitions, equilibrium, and the spontaneity of reactions.