Molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics

In summary, the problem asked us to develop an expression for the number of white atoms on each side of the partition at time t, which was done using the formula for flux of particles. This expression remains valid even when t=0 and t approaches infinity, and is not affected by the presence or absence of atoms in the right volume.
oxman
1. Homework Statement

A volume is divided into two equal parts by a partition. The left volume has N atoms. The atoms have a mass m. A hole of area A is made in the partition at time t=0

A)Develop an expression for the number of white atoms on each side of the partition at time t.
B)Check your answer when t-->infinity and when t-->0
C) If the right volume is just free space how is your answer changed?

2. Homework Equations

Φ=ΔN/ΔAΔt

Phi= 1/4(v)n where n=N/V
3. The Attempt at a Solution

i got N=Noe^(vAt/4V) my teacher says this is wrong if i take t-->infinity...im pretty sure what i solved for is correct tho...

Physics news on Phys.org

I would like to clarify a few things about the given problem and provide a solution to the best of my knowledge.

Firstly, it is important to note that the given problem does not specify the type of atoms or the conditions under which they are present. Therefore, I will assume that the atoms are non-reactive and the system is at equilibrium.

A) To develop an expression for the number of white atoms on each side of the partition at time t, we can use the formula for the flux of particles, Φ=ΔN/ΔAΔt. This can be rewritten as Φ=1/4(v)n, where n=N/V is the number of particles per unit volume.

Now, since the volume is divided into two equal parts by the partition, the number of particles on each side will also be equal. Therefore, the number of white atoms on the left side at time t is given by:

N_left = (1/4(v)n)(AΔt)

Similarly, the number of white atoms on the right side at time t is given by:

N_right = (1/4(v)n)(AΔt)

B) Checking our answer when t-->infinity, we can see that as time approaches infinity, the number of atoms on each side will also approach infinity, since there is a continuous flux of particles through the hole in the partition.

When t-->0, we can see that the number of atoms on each side will be equal to the initial number of atoms in the left volume, N. This is because at t=0, there is no flux of particles through the hole, and all the atoms are still present in the left volume.

C) If the right volume is just free space, then the number of atoms on the right side at time t will be zero, since there are no atoms present in that volume. This will not affect the number of atoms on the left side, which will still be given by N_left = (1/4(v)n)(AΔt).

In conclusion, the expression for the number of white atoms on each side of the partition at time t is N_left = N_right = (1/4(v)n)(AΔt). This is valid for all values of t, including t=0 and t=∞.

What is molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics?

Molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics is a branch of science that studies the movement and transformation of molecules in a system, along with the associated thermodynamic processes and energy changes.

What are the key principles of molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics?

The key principles of molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics include conservation of mass and energy, the laws of thermodynamics, and the concept of chemical potential.

How is molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics used in research?

Molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics is used in a variety of research fields, including chemistry, physics, and biochemistry, to understand and predict the behavior of molecules and chemical reactions in different environments.

What are some common techniques used in molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics?

Some common techniques used in molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics include spectroscopy, chromatography, and mathematical modeling.

What are the practical applications of molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics?

Molecular flux-thermodynamic kinetics has many practical applications, such as in drug design, material science, and environmental studies. It is also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food and beverage, and energy production.