Molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH

In summary, the conversation discusses the molecular mass of mixtures containing Helium gas, monomethylhydrazine (MMH), and dinitrogentetraoxide (MON). The molecular masses of these substances are given as He=4 g/mol, MMH=46 g/mol, and MON=92 g/mol. The conversation also mentions using a weighted average or the sum of all three molecular masses for calculations, depending on the application. Finally, a problem is presented involving mixing Helium and Argon gases and finding the density of the resulting mixture.
hamzaaaa
Dear all

I have a case. I have two tanks, one is filled with Helium gas and monomethylhydrazine(MMH) and another tank with Helium gas and Dinitrogentetraoxide(MON). Both tanks are at 47degC so they are in gaseous form.

I want to know what will be the Molecular Mass of the gas. The molecular mass of He=4 g/mol,MMH=46 g/mol and MON=92 g/mol.

So can anyone tell me what will be the molecular mass i should use for computations for (He+MMH, He+MON and He+MMH+MON)

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For some applications you can use weighted average - but calculation requires knowing composition of the mixtures.

But why to take the average and why not the sum of all three?

Because some properties scale as the average of the molar mass.

Solve this problem: you mix 0.5 L He and 0.5 L Ar. What is the density of the mixture?

for your question. The molecular mass of a gas mixture can be calculated by taking the sum of the individual molecular masses of each component, multiplied by their respective mole fractions. In this case, the mole fraction of He will be 1, as it is the only component in both tanks. Therefore, the molecular mass of He+MMH will be (1 x 4) + (0 x 46) = 4 g/mol. Similarly, the molecular mass of He+MON will also be 4 g/mol. For He+MMH+MON, the mole fraction of He will be 0.5, as it is present in both tanks, and the mole fractions of MMH and MON will be 0.5 and 0.5, respectively. Therefore, the molecular mass of He+MMH+MON will be (0.5 x 4) + (0.5 x 46) + (0.5 x 92) = 48 g/mol. I hope this helps with your computations.

1. What is the molecular mass of He+MON?

The molecular mass of He+MON is 4.002602 atomic mass units (amu). This includes the mass of one helium atom (4.002602 amu) and the mass of one molecule of MON (0 amu).

2. What is the molecular mass of He+MMH?

The molecular mass of He+MMH is 4.002602 amu. This includes the mass of one helium atom (4.002602 amu) and the mass of one molecule of MMH (0 amu).

3. How is the molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH determined?

The molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH is determined by adding the individual atomic masses of the elements present in the molecule. In this case, the molecular mass is simply the sum of the atomic mass of helium and the atomic mass of MON or MMH.

4. Why is the molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH important?

The molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH is important because it is used to determine the relative mass of molecules in chemical reactions. It is also used in calculating the molar mass and density of gases.

5. Can the molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH vary?

No, the molecular mass of He+MON and He+MMH cannot vary as they are fixed values based on the atomic masses of the elements present. However, the molecular mass of isotopes of helium and the specific molecules of MON and MMH may vary.