Molecular material ground state

In summary, the ground state HOMO level of a molecule with two opposite-spin electrons is singlet because the total wavefunction must be antisymmetric, and with two orbital functions, two different Slater determinants can be formed, allowing for the creation of both singlet and triplet eigenfunctions.
hokhani
Why the ground state HOMO level of a molecule with two opposite-spin electrons, is singlet while we know that a level with two opposite-spin electrons may be singlet(s=0,m=0) or triplet(s=1,m=0)?

Physics news on Phys.org
The total wavefunction has to be antisymmetric. For two electrons in one orbital ##\phi## the Slater determinant can be written as
##\begin{vmatrix} \phi(1)s_+(1)& \phi(1) s_-(1)\\ \phi(2)s_+(2) &\phi(2) s_-(2) \end{vmatrix}= N\phi(1)\phi(2)(s_+(1)s_-(2)-s_-(1)s_+(2))##
where N is a normalization constant and s_+ and s_- are up or down spin eigenfunctions.
So as the orbital part of the wavefunction can only be symmetric, the spin function has to be antisymmetric.
With two orbital functions, you can form two Slater determinants and also create triplet eigenfunctions, e.g.
##N(\phi_a(1)\phi_b(2)-\phi_b(1)\phi_a(2))(s_+(1)s_-(2)+s_-(1)s_+(2))##

DrDu said:
The total wavefunction has to be antisymmetric. For two electrons in one orbital ##\phi## the Slater determinant can be written as
##\begin{vmatrix} \phi(1)s_+(1)& \phi(1) s_-(1)\\ \phi(2)s_+(2) &\phi(2) s_-(2) \end{vmatrix}= N\phi(1)\phi(2)(s_+(1)s_-(2)-s_-(1)s_+(2))##
where N is a normalization constant and s_+ and s_- are up or down spin eigenfunctions.
So as the orbital part of the wavefunction can only be symmetric, the spin function has to be antisymmetric.
With two orbital functions, you can form two Slater determinants and also create triplet eigenfunctions, e.g.
##N(\phi_a(1)\phi_b(2)-\phi_b(1)\phi_a(2))(s_+(1)s_-(2)+s_-(1)s_+(2))##

Thanks for your excellent and exact answer. But it remains another question;
writing the slater determinant this way:
##\begin{vmatrix} \phi_a(1)s_+(1)& \phi_b(1) s_-(1)\\ \phi_a(2)s_+(2) &\phi_b(2) s_-(2) \end{vmatrix}##
how can you separate spin and orbital parts as
##N(\phi_a(1)\phi_b(2)-\phi_b(1)\phi_a(2))(s_+(1)s_-(2)+s_-(1)s_+(2))##?

As I said with two orbitals you can form two different Slater determinants. The wavefunction with definite spins I have written down are combinations of the two.
The second one being
##
\begin{vmatrix} \phi_a(1)s_-(1)& \phi_b(1) s_+(1)\\ \phi_a(2)s_-(2) &\phi_b(2) s_+(2) \end{vmatrix}
##

DrDu said:
As I said with two orbitals you can form two different Slater determinants. The wavefunction with definite spins I have written down are combinations of the two.
The second one being
##
\begin{vmatrix} \phi_a(1)s_-(1)& \phi_b(1) s_+(1)\\ \phi_a(2)s_-(2) &\phi_b(2) s_+(2) \end{vmatrix}
##
Excuse me. I didn't underestand what you mean by "with two orbitals you can form two different Slater determinants". Do you mean that
##
##=##
\begin{vmatrix} \phi_a(1)& \phi_b(1)\\ \phi_a(2) &\phi_b(2) \end{vmatrix}
####
\begin{vmatrix} s_-(1)& \ s_+(1)\\ s_-(2) &\ s_+(2) \end{vmatrix}
##?

No. In post #3 you wrote down one of the two possible Slater determinants. In post #4 I posted the second one.
You should try to convince yourself that from these two determinants you can construct both the singlet and the triplet state.

1. What is the "ground state" of a molecular material?

The ground state of a molecular material refers to its lowest energy state, in which the molecules are arranged in their most stable configuration.

2. How is the ground state of a molecular material determined?

The ground state of a molecular material is determined through various methods, including theoretical calculations, spectroscopic techniques, and X-ray crystallography.

3. What factors influence the ground state of a molecular material?

The ground state of a molecular material is influenced by factors such as the composition and arrangement of its atoms, the strength of chemical bonds, and external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. Can the ground state of a molecular material change?

Yes, the ground state of a molecular material can change if there is a change in the conditions or environment in which it exists. For example, an increase in temperature or exposure to radiation can cause the molecules to transition to a higher energy state.

5. What is the significance of studying the ground state of a molecular material?

Studying the ground state of a molecular material can provide valuable insights into its physical and chemical properties, as well as its potential applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and drug discovery.