Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

(molecular spectroscopy)what is the meaning of the symbol

1. Apr 4, 2013 #1
    Hi, everyone. In the picture attached, what is the meaning of 0oo? what should I read to understand the meaning?Thank you!!

Attached Files:

• ch3.png
      ch3.png
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2013 #2

DrDu

Science Advisor

I suppose it is some symbol for vibrational modes excited. Maybe you could write something about what is measured? Is this a mass spectrum after two photon excitation?

4. Apr 10, 2013 #3
    thank your for your answer! I also think it should be vibraitonal modes exceted. However, what confused me is that 0 to 0 transition is non-meaningful!! attached is the paper!!

Attached Files:

5. Apr 10, 2013 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

From the paper and ref. 6 therein I understand that the big number is the ##\nu_1## number of the excited state while the small superscript is the ##\nu_2## quantum number of the excited state.
    The sub-script is the ##\nu_2## vibrational number of the ground state.
    I suppose that due to the higher frequency, the ##\nu_1## mode is never excited in the ground state.
    ##\nu_1## is the symmetric stretch and ##\nu_2## the out of plane bending mode.

Why is a 0 to 0 transition not meaningful? Take in mind that in electronic transitions, in contrast to IR or Raman purely vibrational transitions, vibrational levels don't have to change (with the exception of symmetry forbidden transitions). See e.g.:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck–Condon_principle

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook