(molecular spectroscopy)what is the meaning of the symbol

  • Thread starter Thread starter einstein1921
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
einstein1921
Messages
76
Reaction score
0
Hi, everyone. In the picture attached, what is the meaning of 0oo? what should I read to understand the meaning?Thank you!
 
Attachments
  • ch3.png
    ch3.png
    21.5 KB · Views: 643
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I suppose it is some symbol for vibrational modes excited. Maybe you could write something about what is measured? Is this a mass spectrum after two photon excitation?
 
DrDu said:
I suppose it is some symbol for vibrational modes excited. Maybe you could write something about what is measured? Is this a mass spectrum after two photon excitation?
thank your for your answer! I also think it should be vibraitonal modes exceted. However, what confused me is that 0 to 0 transition is non-meaningful! attached is the paper!
 
Attachments
From the paper and ref. 6 therein I understand that the big number is the ##\nu_1## number of the excited state while the small superscript is the ##\nu_2## quantum number of the excited state.
The sub-script is the ##\nu_2## vibrational number of the ground state.
I suppose that due to the higher frequency, the ##\nu_1## mode is never excited in the ground state.
##\nu_1## is the symmetric stretch and ##\nu_2## the out of plane bending mode.

Why is a 0 to 0 transition not meaningful? Take in mind that in electronic transitions, in contrast to IR or Raman purely vibrational transitions, vibrational levels don't have to change (with the exception of symmetry forbidden transitions). See e.g.:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franck–Condon_principle
 
Last edited: