Moment about an axis - please

In summary, the problem is to find the tension in cable AB in order to make the net moment about the hinge axis CD induced by forces F and P equal to zero. The magnitude of P is known to be 65 lb and its two coordinate direction angles (beta and gamma) are given. To find the third coordinate direction angle for P, the definition of beta and gamma should be considered as they are related to the direction of P. The radius for the cross product can be chosen from any point on the line of action CD, with the closest point to where P acts being the most suitable choice.
jlhannah
(Figure is attached) Find the tension in the cable AB such that the net moment about the hinge axis CD induced by the forces F and P is zero. The force F is applied at point A and the force P is applied at point E. The magnitude of the force P is P = 65 lb. Two coordinate direction angles for the force P are known: beta = 37 degrees and gamma = 165 degrees. The hinged plate is rectangular.

- I found the unit vector CD {0i + 0.8j + 0.6k}
- I know that the force vector will be F(ab){-0.43i + 0.29j + 0.86k}

How do I find the third coordinate direction angle for the force P?
From there, what radius do I use for my cross product? I can pick any point on the line of action CD, correct?

Attachments

• Figure1.pdf
    38.6 KB · Views: 354
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of ##\beta## and ##\gamma##?
They are related to the direction of P somehow.

From there, what radius do I use for my cross product? I can pick any point on the line of action CD, correct?
The one closest to the point where P acts.

Related to Moment about an axis - please

What is a moment about an axis?

A moment about an axis is a physical quantity that describes the tendency of an object to rotate around a fixed point or axis. It is also known as a torque.

How is a moment about an axis calculated?

The moment about an axis is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force acting on an object by the perpendicular distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

What is the SI unit for moment about an axis?

The SI unit for moment about an axis is Newton-meter (Nm) in the metric system, and foot-pound (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

What is the difference between a positive and negative moment about an axis?

A positive moment about an axis indicates that the object is rotating in a counterclockwise direction, while a negative moment indicates a clockwise rotation.

How is the concept of moment about an axis used in real-life applications?

The concept of moment about an axis is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics to calculate the stability, strength, and movement of objects and structures. It is also used in designing machines, bridges, and other structures.