Moment of Inertia and Torque problem

In summary, the homework statement is that a wheel free to rotate about its axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of +44 N·m is applied to the wheel for 23 s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of +520 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. The moment of inertia of the wheel is found to be 427.6 kg m^2. If you can find the equation for r, you can use that to solve for the torque. Thanks for the help!
kalbio

Homework Statement

A wheel free to rotate about its axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of +44 N·m is applied to the wheel for 23 s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of +520 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. (Include the sign in your answers.)

a) Find the moment of inertia of the wheel.
b) Find the frictional torque, which is assumed to be constant.

Homework Equations

Torque = Intertia x angular acceleration
Inertia = (mr^2)/4
This is the inertia for a solid disk
angular acceleration = angular velocity/time

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's my attempt I started by changing the 520 rev/min to...
520 rev/min * 1 min /60 sec = 8.67 rev/sec
8.67 rev/sec * 2 pi rads/1 rev = 17.33 pi rads /sec

After that I wanted the angular velocity so I did...
17.33 pi rads/sec / 23 seconds = 2.368 rads / sec^2

With the angular velocity I found the angular acceleration to be...
a = 2.368/23 sec = .1029 rads / sec^2

I know I'll have to use that to solve for the Torque (I think)

What I'm really stuck on is getting a) The moment of intertia of the wheel.
I = (mr^2)/4
I don't know where to get the r from, and maybe that equation is wrong overall which is another thing I am confused about.

If I can get that I believe I would just use the angular acceleration I got and the Intertia to get the Torque.

Any help towards the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You have torque and angular acceleration; use that to calculate the moment of inertia of the wheel.

Pi-Bond said:
You have torque and angular acceleration; use that to calculate the moment of inertia of the wheel.

Uhm If I use the acceleration I got .1029 rads/sec^2 into the equation T = Inertia x angular acceleration

That would be Intertia = Torque/angular acceleration
Intertia = 44 / .1029
Intertia = 427.6 kg m^2

That didn't get me the right answer and it doesn't look like the right one. Is that what you
ment.

Your calculation of angular velocity and angular acceleration are incorrect. (Do you really think that angular velocity has units of rad/s^2?)

SteamKing said:
Your calculation of angular velocity and angular acceleration are incorrect. (Do you really think that angular velocity has units of rad/s^2?)

Ah true...wouldn't the angular velocity and acceleration be this instead then

520 rev/min * 1min/60 sec = 8.67 rev/sec
8.67 rev /sec *2pi rads / rev = 54.454 rads /sec (This would be my actual angular velocity)

So then my angular acceleration would be
a = w/t
a = 54.454 (rads/sec) / 23 seconds = 2.367577 rads/sec^2

This looks right to me, but even if I take this and plug it into Torque = Inertia x angular acceleration the answer for a is wrong.

Ah I finally got the problem, I had to also take into consideration the acceleration of when the wheel was slowing down as well. Add the two accelerations and then use that for
the Intertia.

b) was just using the found intertia to solve for torque

Thanks a bunch to those that helped!

Related to Moment of Inertia and Torque problem

1. What is the moment of inertia and how is it related to torque?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is directly related to torque, which is the force that causes an object to rotate. The larger the moment of inertia, the more torque is needed to change the object's rotational motion.

2. How can the moment of inertia be calculated?

The moment of inertia can be calculated by summing up the product of an object's mass and the square of its distance from the axis of rotation for all of its individual particles. It can also be found using mathematical equations specific to different shapes, such as cylinders, spheres, or rods.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is affected by an object's mass and the distribution of that mass around its axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass or objects with most of their mass concentrated farther away from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia.

4. How does the moment of inertia impact an object's rotational motion?

The moment of inertia plays a crucial role in determining how an object will rotate in response to an applied torque. Objects with a larger moment of inertia will have a slower rotational speed for a given torque, while objects with a smaller moment of inertia will have a faster rotational speed.

5. How is torque used in real-life applications?

Torque is used in many real-life applications, such as the rotation of wheels in cars, the motion of propellers in airplanes, and the movement of joints in the human body. Understanding torque and moment of inertia is crucial in designing and engineering these systems to function efficiently and effectively.