Moment of Inertia at a point away from centre of Mass.

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between speed and distance on a merry-go-round. It is stated that the horse, which is located at the edge of the merry-go-round, moves faster relative to a point near the center. This is due to the fact that most of the mass of the merry-go-round is concentrated at the edge. It is then questioned whether the increased velocity at the horse means that it is closer to the center of mass, which would not violate the law of conservation of angular momentum.
avito009
Lets say we are sitting on a horse at the edge of a merry-go-round. You move faster relative to a point near the centre of the merry go round. Now most of the mass of this merry go round is at the edge i.e at the horse. So the moment of inertia at the horse is less. Correct me if I am wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now we all know that the speed at the edge i.e at the Horse is more. Let's say the velocity is more at the Horse. If velocity increases the distance should decrease according to law of conservation of angular momentum. Doe this prove that the Horse is near the centre of mass and so does not violate the law of conservation of angular momentum?

What is moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass?

Moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion when it is rotated about that point. It takes into account the mass distribution of the object and the distance of the point from the centre of mass.

How is moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass calculated?

The moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance between the point and the centre of mass.

What is the relationship between moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass and rotational motion?

The moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass directly affects an object's rotational motion. The higher the moment of inertia, the more resistance an object will have to rotational motion. This means that it will require more torque or force to rotate the object.

How does the moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass differ from the moment of inertia at the centre of mass?

The moment of inertia at a point away from the centre of mass is generally higher than the moment of inertia at the centre of mass. This is because the further away the point is from the centre of mass, the more distributed the mass of the object is, resulting in a higher moment of inertia.

What factors can affect the moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass?

The moment of inertia at a point away from centre of mass can be affected by the shape, size, and mass distribution of the object. The further the point is from the centre of mass, the higher the moment of inertia will be. Additionally, the moment of inertia can also be affected by the object's rotation axis and the distribution of mass around that axis.