Moment of Inertia Ball and Stick Collision

In summary: What's the difference?In summary, the conversation discusses a mass being dropped onto one end of a pivoted stick and adhering to it upon collision. The speed of the mass just before impact can be found using vf^2=Vo^2+2ah. The conversation also mentions using the equations for conservation of angular momentum and angular kinematics to find the angular and linear speed of the system after impact, as well as the mechanical energy lost during the collision. The equation v = rw can be used to relate linear velocity and angular speed. The rotational inertia of the system is 1/3ML^2. Finally, the energy of the system before and after the collision can be compared to determine the energy lost.
tachu101

Homework Statement

A mass is dropped from height (h) onto one end of a stick of mass (m) and of length (l) pivoted around the opposite end. The moment of inertia of the stick is 1/3ML^2. Upon collision the mass adheres to the stick.

a. Find speed of mass just before impact
b. Find angular speed of the system immediately after impact
c. Find linear speed of the mass (m) at its lowest point (when stick is vertical)
d. Determine the mechanical energy lost as a result of the collision.

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum
angular kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part I think I found easily with vf^2=Vo^2+2ah which will get you vf=(2ah)^1/2
The last three parts I am very confused about. I have that Io wo=If wf The last part I would think I would use the kinetic energy at the start and at the bottom.

Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the relationship between [tex]\omega[/tex] and velocity [tex] v = r \omega[/tex] also remember in this incident the complete momentum equation entails linear momentum so

[tex]mv_{i} + I \omega_{i} = mv_{f} + I \omega_{f}[/tex]

remember there is no initial rotational momentum

I am a tad rusty right now since its been over 2 months since I've last seen this stuff (vacation lol)

I know for sure this model holds for conservation of energy though

comment on and/or let me know how it works out

Edit: remember your [tex]v_{f}[/tex] (from kinematics) = [tex]v_{i}[/tex] (in the momentum equation)

Does Mo*Vo= I*Wfinal and then is I=(1/3)(2M)(L^2) this will cause the angular speed to be really complicated looking (3/2L^2)*(2gh)^(1/2) and is no mechanical energy lost in the system?

djeitnstine said:
I know for sure this model holds for conservation of energy though

Also, I am having trouble finding the equation for linear motion compared to rotational, does anyone have a link to the trig equation?

v = rw
linear velocity = radius x angular speed

tachu101 said:
Does Mo*Vo= I*Wfinal and then is I=(1/3)(2M)(L^2) this will cause the angular speed to be really complicated looking (3/2L^2)*(2gh)^(1/2) and is no mechanical energy lost in the system?
What's the angular momentum of the system before the collision?
What's the rotational inertia of the system once the ball attaches to the stick?
Use this to find the rotational speed just after the collision.

What's the energy of the system just before the collision? Just after the collision?

FAQ: Moment of Inertia Ball and Stick Collision

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is also referred to as rotational inertia and is dependent on an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass.

2. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for calculating moment of inertia depends on the shape and axis of rotation of the object. For a point mass rotating around a fixed axis, the formula is I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. How does the moment of inertia affect a ball and stick collision?

The moment of inertia affects the outcome of a ball and stick collision by determining how much the objects will rotate after the collision. Objects with larger moments of inertia will rotate less than objects with smaller moments of inertia.

4. What factors can affect the moment of inertia in a ball and stick collision?

The moment of inertia in a ball and stick collision can be affected by the masses of the objects, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the shape and distribution of mass of the objects. The angle of collision and the speed of the objects can also play a role.

5. How can the moment of inertia be manipulated in a ball and stick collision?

The moment of inertia can be manipulated in a ball and stick collision by changing the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of the objects. The distance from the axis of rotation can also be adjusted to affect the moment of inertia. Additionally, the angle of collision and the initial velocity of the objects can be altered to manipulate the moment of inertia.

Back