Moment of inertia flywheel mass problem

In summary, the flywheel has mass M, and the moment of inertia is I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}-4\left(\frac{r^{2}}{R^{2}}\right)M\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^{2}. If the disk doesn't have any holes, I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2} and if the holes are removed, I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}-4\left(\frac{r^{2}}{R^{2}}\right)M\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^{2}.
bowma166

Homework Statement

Find the moment of inertia of a flywheel of mass M made by cutting four large holes of radius r out of a uniform disk of radius R. The holes are centered at a distance R/2 from the center of the flywheel.

Here is a very poorly drawn diagram of the disk. Sorry for how crappy it is.
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/4131/flywheelro2.jpg

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\int R^{2}dm[/tex]
(Is this necessary? I don't think it is given the next two equations.)

[tex]I_{disk}=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/tex]

[tex]I=I_{CM}+md^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

You can just add/subtract moment of inertias of things, right? I'm not sure about that but that's what I tried.
If the disk didn't have holes, then [itex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/itex]. But it does... the holes are of mass
[tex]\frac{\pi r^{2}}{\pi R^{2}}M=\frac{r^{2}}{R^{2}}M[/tex]
and are a distance R/2 from the center. So the total moment of inertia should be

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}-4\left(\frac{r^{2}}{R^{2}}\right)M\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^{2}=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}-Mr^{2}[/tex]

right? It makes sense because as r -> 0, I -> I_disk, but I really have no idea if it is right or not. Thanks!

::edit:: Just kidding, I know I did that wrong... I'm working on redoing it now.

::edit again::
Okay. This time I think I may have done it more correctly.
The moment of inertia of each small disk about the center of the big disk should be
[tex]I_{hole}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{r^{2}}{R^{2}}Mr^{2}+\left(\frac{r^{2}}{R^{2}}M\right)\left(\frac{R}{2}\right)^{2}=\frac{Mr^{4}}{2R^{2}}+\frac{Mr^{2}}{4}[/tex]
so the total moment of inertia is the big disk's I minus four times the holes' I, right?
[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}-4\left(\frac{Mr^{4}}{2R^{2}}+\frac{Mr^{2}}{4}\right)=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}-\frac{2Mr^{4}}{R^{2}}-Mr^{2}[/tex]

So...

[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}M\left(R^{2}-\frac{4r^{4}}{R^{2}}-2r^{2}\right)[/tex]

That seems kind of messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bowma166 said:
That seems kind of messy.

Sometimes things are that way :smile: Blame it on your messy disk.

You can add/subtract moments as long as they are about the same axis; so your second solution is fine.

Oh, I didn't read the problem carefully enough. The flywheel has mass M, not the original disk...

Oh... Does that not work that way? Hm. Well I tried again, finding the mass of the thing if the holes weren't removed and then replacing M in my calculations with that.
The whole mass would have been
[tex]M_{whole}=\frac{Mr^{2}}{R^{2}-4r^{2}}[/tex]
right?

I got something extremely messy for my final answer then... So messy that I'm pretty sure it can't be right. I think?

[tex]I_{total}=Mr^{2}\left(\frac{R^{2}}{2R^{2}-8r^{2}}-\frac{2r^{4}}{R^{4}-4R^{2}r^{2}}-\frac{2r^{2}}{R^{2}-4r^{2}}\right)[/tex]

::edit:: Yeah, that can't be right... Oh damn! I accidentally switched r and R in my calculation of the mass. Time to do that all over again.

::edit 2::
Okay. With the correct (I hope) mass with MR2 on top instead of Mr2, I got...
[tex]I_{total}=\frac{MR^{4}-2Mr^{4}\left(2+R^{2}\right)}{2R^{2}-8r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{r\rightarrow0}I_{total}=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/tex]
for this answer, so it has the possibility of being correct. Maybe.

Last edited:
bowma166 said:
::edit 2::
Okay. With the correct (I hope) mass with MR2 on top instead of Mr2, I got...
[tex]I_{total}=\frac{MR^{4}-2Mr^{4}\left(2+R^{2}\right)}{2R^{2}-8r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\lim_{r\rightarrow0}I_{total}=\frac{1}{2}MR^{2}[/tex]
for this answer, so it has the possibility of being correct. Maybe.

Yeah, it is a messy problem - you just have to be confident that you haven't made any errors in the process. For example you cannot add 2 to R^2 since the dimensions are all wrong :smile:

But I got the (2+R2) from factoring 4Mr4 + 2MR2r4... Doesn't that work? Sigh. I give up on this problem. I'll just hope there isn't one like it on the test, hah.

Your solution is correct, in that you've understood the physics. It is just a matter of going back and checking your math again. Good luck on the test!

Ah, so finding the mass if there was nothing removed,
[tex]M_{disk}=\frac{MR^{2}}{R^{2}-4r^{2}}[/tex],
and calculating everything as I did with that is the right way to do things? Good. I'm not going to bother checking over the math though. Thanks for the help!

1. What is a moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated based on an object's mass and its distribution around an axis of rotation.

2. How does a flywheel's mass affect its moment of inertia?

The larger the mass of a flywheel, the greater its moment of inertia will be. This is because the moment of inertia is directly proportional to an object's mass.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and rotational speed?

The moment of inertia and rotational speed have an inverse relationship. This means that as the moment of inertia increases, the rotational speed decreases, and vice versa. This can be seen in the equation I = mr², where m is the mass of the object and r is the distance from the rotation axis.

4. How does the shape of a flywheel affect its moment of inertia?

The shape of a flywheel can greatly affect its moment of inertia. Objects with a larger radius and/or a greater distribution of mass away from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia compared to objects with a smaller radius and/or a more centralized mass distribution.

5. Why is the moment of inertia important in flywheel design?

The moment of inertia is important in flywheel design because it determines the amount of energy that can be stored in the flywheel and the speed at which it can rotate. A higher moment of inertia allows for more energy storage and a slower rotation speed, which can be beneficial in certain applications such as energy storage systems or stabilizing rotational motion.