1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia for inclined plates

1. Apr 27, 2012 #1
    What is the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate making an angle except right angle or multiple of right angle with it's axis which is passing through the centroid of the plate?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2012 #2
    Just take the projection of the rectangular plate along the plane perpendicular to the axis of rotation. And now find the MOI of the projection using regular techniques. That will give you the MOI.

This works because displacing any component of a system of particles , parallel to the axis , cannot change the MOI.

4. Apr 27, 2012 #3
    do it in ordinary way by direct integration.you should know that the quantity is a tensor and transformation law for it is different.if product of inertia is zero then

I=Ixxcos^2(theta)+Iyysin^2(theta)

5. Apr 27, 2012 #4
    Thanks for your answers, i shall work on it .......

6. Apr 27, 2012 #5

K^2

Science Advisor

Keep in mind that you are dealing with an axis that isn't a principal axis of that body. So if you try to find angular momentum using L=Iω, for example, you'll get an incorrect result. It is adequate for computing angular acceleration from torque or rotational kinetic energy, however.

7. Apr 27, 2012 #6
    Connect With Your Workforce With Better Health And Safety Software

2.Automation: While automation is a natural part of improving process, it can also provide additional functionality not previously available. For example, automatic notification of key people on safety related incidents, automatic reminders for when an induction is about to expire, automatic refusal of entry if a contractor's insurance has expired.

8. May 3, 2012 #7
    could any one please work this for me?

9. May 3, 2012 #8
    please guide me in doin this ..... got mad in finding out

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook