Understanding Moment of Inertia for a Beam Bending about the Y-Axis

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the moment of inertia for a specific beam bending around the y-axis. The solution provided uses an obscure method, causing confusion for the person asking the question. Another person suggests a simpler method, subtracting out the moment of inertia for each inset. The parallel axis theorem is also mentioned and explained, leading to a better understanding of the calculation. Ultimately, the second method is preferred and the correct calculation is determined to be 720,896 mm^4.
wahaj

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to solve for the maximum moment assuming the beam bends about the y-axis (not the z axis as shown in the image. Same image for different questions). I don't understand how to find the moment of inertia in this case. The solution gives the moment of inertia for the 80 x 16 mm part of the bar to be
[tex] I =\frac{1}{12}(80)(16^3) + 80(16)(16^3)[/tex]
What I don't understand is where the 80(16)(163) comes from. Can some one explain?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    4.3 KB · Views: 454
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand either. Sometimes, the authors of these solutions use obscure methods to find the answers. If in doubt about the I calculation, use a method which you understand better.

You could calculate I for an 80x48 rectangle and then subtract out the I for each of the 24x16 insets:

Iy = (1/12)*80*48^3 - 2*(1/12)*24*16^3 mm^4

This is a simple method because the parallel axis theorem is not required (everything has the same centroidal location w.r.t. the y-axis.

It's the stupid parallel axis theorem. I've only used that a few times before so I had completely forgotten about it. Your post reminded me of it. The second area moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem is
[tex] I = I_x+Ar^2[/tex]
here A is the area of the region. Anyways thanks for the help

wahaj said:
It's the stupid parallel axis theorem. I've only used that a few times before so I had completely forgotten about it. Your post reminded me of it. The second area moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem is
[tex] I = I_x+Ar^2[/tex]
here A is the area of the region. Anyways thanks for the help

The only problem is, it doesn't match the calculation in the OP.

If you wanted to split the Iy calculation into three segments, then you would have the following:

center segment: A = 16 * 32 mm^2 Iy = (1/12)*32*16^3 mm^4; no PAT required

upper, lower segments: A = 16*80 mm^2 Iy = (1/12)*80*16^3 mm^4
PAT = 16*80*24^2 mm^4,

So, the total Iy =

(1/12)*32*16^3 + 2*[(1/12)*80*16^3 + 16*80*16^2] = 720,896 mm^4

Alternately, by subtracting the two 16 x 24 mm cutouts from the 80 x 48 mm rectangle:

Iy = (1/12)*80*48^3 - 2*[(1/12)*24*16^3] = 720,896 mm^4

I realize I made a mistake in the OP. It's supposed to be 80(16)(16^2). However I like your second method better than the PAT.

1. What is the moment of inertia of a beam?

The moment of inertia of a beam is a measure of its resistance to bending and torsion. It is a physical property that depends on the shape and size of the beam.

2. How is the moment of inertia of a beam calculated?

The moment of inertia of a beam can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * b * h^3, where b is the base width of the beam and h is the height of the beam. For more complex shapes, such as an I-beam, the moment of inertia can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a beam?

The moment of inertia of a beam is affected by its cross-sectional shape, size, and distribution of material. Beams with larger cross-sectional areas and more material located further from the neutral axis have higher moments of inertia.

4. Why is the moment of inertia important in beam design?

The moment of inertia is important in beam design because it helps determine the strength and stiffness of a beam. A beam with a higher moment of inertia will have a greater resistance to bending and therefore will be able to support larger loads without excessive deflection.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect the buckling of a beam?

The moment of inertia also plays a role in the buckling of a beam. A beam with a higher moment of inertia will have a greater resistance to buckling, making it less likely to fail under compressive loads.