Moment of Inertia of a grouping of pennies

In summary: The moment of inertia of two coins with centers at a distance r from each other and the axis of rotation perpendicular to the plane of the coins is:I see I interposted, nevermind.In summary, a hexagonal arrangement of seven pennies has a moment of inertia of 55mr/2 around the axis that passes through the center of the central penny. No integration is needed to calculate this.
EventHorizon4
Hi,

An old GRE problem asks what the moment of inertia of seven pennies, arranged in a hexagon with one in the center, all touching each others' edges is, about the axis that passes through the center of the central penny and is normal to the plane of the pennies.

Each penny is a uniform disc of mass m and radius r, and the answer is apparently 55mr/2.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Where are you stuck?

I obviously know how to calculate the moment of inertia of a disc, but I just don't understand how to account for multiple discs all centered at different places in a plane. It doesn't seem like it can be one integration...that would be really ugly. So is there some sort of way to "add" the moments of each disc together? That's what I don't understand.

Sorry I haven't gotten very far...

Hint: All that matters is how far each disk is from the axis. No integration needed.

EventHorizon4 said:
I obviously know how to calculate the moment of inertia of a disc, but I just don't understand how to account for multiple discs all centered at different places in a plane. It doesn't seem like it can be one integration...that would be really ugly. So is there some sort of way to "add" the moments of each disc together? That's what I don't understand.

Sorry I haven't gotten very far...

Do you know how to find the moment of inertia of two pennies whos centers are a distance r away from each other and the axis of rotation is right between them? hint assume the center of mass of each penny is a point in the middle of the penny...

oopss I see I interposted, nevermind.

Wasn't familiar until now with the "parallel axis theorem," but that seems to have been the ticket here. Using that to calculate the moment of inertia for the pennies NOT rotating on their center of mass, then adding all seven together, gets the answer. Thanks.

Yep, the parallel axis theorem is what you need.

What is the moment of inertia of a grouping of pennies?

The moment of inertia of a grouping of pennies is a measure of the distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of each penny by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then adding all of these values together.

How is the moment of inertia affected by the arrangement of pennies?

The moment of inertia is affected by the arrangement of pennies because the distance of each penny from the axis of rotation will change. A grouping of pennies that are arranged in a circular shape will have a different moment of inertia than a straight line of pennies.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a grouping of pennies?

The moment of inertia of a grouping of pennies is affected by the mass and distribution of the pennies, as well as the distance of each penny from the axis of rotation. The shape and arrangement of the grouping also play a role in determining the moment of inertia.

How can the moment of inertia of a grouping of pennies be calculated?

The moment of inertia of a grouping of pennies can be calculated by using the formula I = Σmr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of each penny, and r is the distance of each penny from the axis of rotation.

Why is the moment of inertia important in physics?

The moment of inertia is important in physics because it is a crucial factor in determining the rotational motion of an object. It is used in calculations for angular momentum, torque, and rotational kinetic energy. It also helps us understand the stability and rigidity of an object when it is rotating.