1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of inertia of a sphere

1. Nov 14, 2006 #1
    This was not actually homework, but I was just trying to see if I could calculate moments of inertia and apparently, I cannot.
    I'm trying to show that the moment of inertia for a sphere is (2/5)MR^2
    So I started with I=(integral)(r^2)(dm)
    then P=dm/dv=dm/(4pi(r^2)dr)
    so dm=(4)(pi)(r^2)(P)(dr)
    so I substituted into the original equation, removed constants from the integral, and substituted P for M/V=(3M/(4(pi)(R^3)))
    I=12pi(M)/(4(pi)r^3)[integral]r^4 (dr)
    I=(3/5)MR^2 which is wrong!

(sorry about the lack of pretty math writing)
    Thanks for any help, and by the way, I'm only a high school student so my calculus knowledge is very limited (in fact, the only reason I know what integration is is because of my physics class).

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2006 #2
    Oh, I just realized something!
    I am integrating as if the higher part has the same radius because it is the same distance from the center but it is closer to the axis!
    now I really dont know what to do.

4. Nov 15, 2006 #3

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is not a simple calculation. There are two approaches you can take with limited calculus experience. The first is to find the moment of inertia of a disk about its symmetry axis, and then slice the sphere into disks of thickness dx having a common axis that is a diameter of the sphere. Then add (integrate) the moments of inertia of all the disks. The hard part is finding the radius of each disk as a function of x, but that can be done using the equation for the surface of the sphere.

The second approach is to find the moment of inertia of a cylindrical shell about its symmetry axis (easy since all the mass has the same radius) and think of the sphere as many concentric shells of radius r and thickness dr. The hard part here is finding the length of each cylinder as a function of r, but again this can be found from the equation for the surface of the sphere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?