Moment of Inertia of a System - Disk with separate masses

In summary, the conversation discusses a disk with a small hub attached and two smaller disks placed on top of it. The question is whether the moment of inertia can be calculated using the formula for a disk. The parallel axis theorem is mentioned as a key factor in computing the total moment of inertia for the assembly.
Bhollehday
Ive got the following disk I am attempting to find the torque required to turn it 1/4 turn in 1/4 second.

Am I correct when I am considering I(D)=1/2mr^2 as its a disk, and I(d)=mr^2? and The final moment of inertia to be I(D)+I(d)?

Here is the disk I am speaking of:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ax2rwpffhl5d4m5/Capture (2).PNG?dl=0

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you just post the diagram? (I cannot access the link.)

Doc Al said:
Can you just post the diagram? (I cannot access the link.)

The drawing shows a top view of a flat disk which apparently spins in the horizontal plane. The disk appears to be of uniform density except for a small hub attached with four screws. [Think of the turntable on a phonograph player]

On the top of the disk are placed two additional flat disks. Their diameter is perhaps 40% of the diameter of the main disk. Each is secured to the original disk with twelve screws. The two disks are positioned diametrically opposite one another. Neither overlaps the hub. Neither hangs over the edge. They both fit evenly between hub and rim. Both are of equal size.

The main disk is labeled ID. One of the smaller disks is labelled Id. No measurement has been made of the distance between the center of the small disks and the center of the large disk. That measurement is, of course, key to computing the moment of inertia of the combined assembly.

Bhollehday, you may want to Google for the "parallel axis theorem". The small disks contribute their own moment of inertia to the total. But they also contribute based on their mass and their distance from the center of the big disk.

Edit:

Bhollehday said:
Am I correct when I am considering I(D)=1/2mr^2 as its a disk, and I(d)=mr^2? and The final moment of inertia to be I(D)+I(d)?
In the formulas above you have ##I_D## as ##\frac{1}{2}mr^2## and ##I_d## as ##mr^2##. That is an unfortunate use of notation because you are re-using both "m" and "r" with two different meanings in each case.

No, the final moment of inertia will not be ##I_D + I_d##. It will have an additional component based on the parallel axis theorem as above.

Likes Doc Al

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a system that measures its resistance to rotational motion. It is a measure of how much torque is required to accelerate a system in rotational motion.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a system can be calculated by summing the products of mass and squared distance from the axis of rotation for each individual component of the system. In the case of a disk with separate masses, the moment of inertia would be the sum of the moments of inertia for each individual mass.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand how different systems behave when subjected to rotational motion. It is a key factor in calculating the angular acceleration of a system and predicting its rotational behavior.

How does the distribution of mass affect moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass in a system has a direct impact on its moment of inertia. A system with a majority of its mass concentrated further away from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia than a system with the same total mass but with a more compact distribution of mass.

What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia depends on the system being measured. In the case of a disk with separate masses, the unit of moment of inertia would be kilogram-meter squared (kgm^2).