1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of half disk

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    Hello, just found this forum didn't know it existed. hopefully someone can help with this.

I am trying to figure out the mass moment of inertia for a half disk spining around the center axis. A full disk is I=1/2*M*R^2. Would the inertia for spining a half disk around the center axis just be half of this? Not homework, something I am working on.

Hopefully someone here can help

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Just to be clear: The formula will be the same, but since the mass is halved, the moment of inertia will be halved.

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the quick responce. What was confusing me was that the half disk is rotating around what is the center (not COG) I thought it might get more complicated due to the rotation not being through the COG. thanks just 1/2 the formula for a full disk because it is half the mass. Here is an image for reference. Apreciated. (I am ignoring the small attachment point for simplicity)

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook