Moment of Inertia of Shapes

In summary, the (1/3) comes from the moment of inertia of a thin rod rotating about one end, and the integral sums up the moments of inertia of infinitesimal strips to find the total moment of inertia of the shaded area.
salman213
Ok I am try to understand how to find the moment of inertia of different shapes by using direct integration. In a lot of the solutions I see they always have this one thing that I don't understand. Example:

Determine by direct integration the moment of inertia of the shaded area
with respect to the y axis.

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/4816/64329189gz9.jpg

WHERE DOES THE 1/3 COME FROM??

I know the formula is

Iy = INTEGRALOF(x^2 dA)

doesnt da = xdy

so that makes it

Iy =INTEGRALOF(x^2 * x *dy)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi salman213,

It appears to me that the way they are setting up the integral is by dividing the area into infinitesimal strips of length x and height dy. Each of these strips has the form of a thin rod which is rotating about one end, and that is where the (1/3) comes from. (The moment of inertia of a thin rod rotating about one end is [itex]\frac{1}{3}ML^2[/itex].)

The integral then sums up the moments of inertia of these strips.

The 1/3 comes from the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia of a shape about an axis parallel to its centroid is equal to the moment of inertia about its centroid plus the product of the area and the square of the distance between the two axes. In this case, the shaded area is not centered about the y-axis, so we need to use the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about the y-axis.

To understand this better, let's break down the formula for moment of inertia about the y-axis:

Iy = INTEGRALOF(x^2 dA)

First, we need to find the differential element of area, dA. In this case, it is a small strip of width dx and height x, so dA = xdx. This is because we are integrating along the y-axis, so we need to express the area in terms of y.

Next, we need to find the distance between the y-axis and the centroid of the shaded area. This distance is x, since the centroid is located at (x, x^2/2) in the coordinate system shown.

Now, using the parallel axis theorem, we can rewrite the formula as:

Iy = INTEGRALOF(x^2 dA) + Ax^2

where A is the area of the shaded region. Plugging in dA = xdx and A = 1/2, we get:

Iy = INTEGRALOF(x^2 * x *dx) + (1/2)x^2

which simplifies to:

Iy = (1/3)x^3 + (1/2)x^2

This is the same as the formula you mentioned, but with the added term (1/2)x^2 to account for the distance between the centroid and the y-axis.

In summary, the 1/3 comes from the parallel axis theorem, which is necessary to find the moment of inertia about an axis that is not passing through the centroid of the shape.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a physical property of a shape that describes its resistance to rotational motion. It is affected by the shape of the object and the distribution of its mass.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

The moment of inertia of a shape can be calculated by summing the products of the mass of each particle in the object and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. This is represented by the equation I = Σmr².

What factors affect moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of a shape is affected by the shape's mass distribution, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the orientation of the object.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering because it helps determine the stability and rotational motion of objects. It is also used in calculations for designing structures and machinery.

How does moment of inertia differ for different shapes?

The moment of inertia of a shape depends on its mass distribution and distance from the axis of rotation. Therefore, different shapes will have different moment of inertia values, even if they have the same mass.