1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia problem

1. Mar 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

You guys might recognize me from a post earlier. Yep, I'm still plugging away at rotation of rigid bodies and have another question.

The flywheel of a gasoline engine is required to give up 500 J of kinetic energy while its angular velocity decreases from 650 rpm to 520 rpm. What moment of inertia is required?

2. Relevant equations

I = moment of inertia

E = (1/2)I(ω^2)

I = 2E/(ω^2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I converted the rpm's into rad/s. They are 1.13 and 0.91 respectively. Other than that, I sat and thought for a while and couldn't come up with a start. The 500 J obviously needs to be worked in somehow, but this is a change in E not a constant E. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Lee

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2013 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How did you get these values for the angular speeds? Remember, rpm means revolutions per minute.

ehild

4. Mar 30, 2013 #3
    650 rpm (2pi/1 rev)(1 min/60 sec) = whoops that should be 68.07 rad/sec and

520 rpm (2pi/1 rev)(1 min/60 sec) = 54.45 rad/s

Anyone know how to find the moment of inertia?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  5. Mar 31, 2013 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You know the difference between initial and final rotational energy.

ehild

6. Mar 31, 2013 #5
    I got it. I did Energy final - Energy initial = -500 J, factored the I out of the 2 terms on the left and got 0.600 kg m^2 for the moment of inertia. Thanks for the hint. I hope I recognize that trick next time I need it!

Thanks,
    Lee

7. Mar 31, 2013 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good job!

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted