Moment of Inertia for a Decreasing Angular Velocity

In summary, the problem involves finding the moment of inertia of a flywheel in a gasoline engine, given a decrease in angular velocity and a specific amount of kinetic energy. The formula used is I = 2E/(ω^2), and with the given values, the resulting moment of inertia is 0.600 kg m^2. The solution involves calculating the difference between initial and final rotational energy and factoring out the moment of inertia.
leehufford

Homework Statement

You guys might recognize me from a post earlier. Yep, I'm still plugging away at rotation of rigid bodies and have another question.

The flywheel of a gasoline engine is required to give up 500 J of kinetic energy while its angular velocity decreases from 650 rpm to 520 rpm. What moment of inertia is required?

Homework Equations

I = moment of inertia

E = (1/2)I(ω^2)

I = 2E/(ω^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the rpm's into rad/s. They are 1.13 and 0.91 respectively. Other than that, I sat and thought for a while and couldn't come up with a start. The 500 J obviously needs to be worked in somehow, but this is a change in E not a constant E. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
leehufford said:

I converted the rpm's into rad/s. They are 1.13 and 0.91 respectively.
-Lee

How did you get these values for the angular speeds? Remember, rpm means revolutions per minute.

ehild

ehild said:
How did you get these values for the angular speeds? Remember, rpm means revolutions per minute.

650 rpm (2pi/1 rev)(1 min/60 sec) = whoops that should be 68.07 rad/sec and

520 rpm (2pi/1 rev)(1 min/60 sec) = 54.45 rad/s

Anyone know how to find the moment of inertia?

Last edited:
You know the difference between initial and final rotational energy.

ehild

ehild said:
You know the difference between initial and final rotational energy.

ehild

I got it. I did Energy final - Energy initial = -500 J, factored the I out of the 2 terms on the left and got 0.600 kg m^2 for the moment of inertia. Thanks for the hint. I hope I recognize that trick next time I need it!

Thanks,
Lee

Good job!

ehild

What is the Moment of Inertia problem?

The Moment of Inertia problem is a physics concept that describes the tendency of a rigid body to resist changes in its rotational motion. It is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational velocity.

What factors affect the Moment of Inertia?

The Moment of Inertia is affected by the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of an object. The greater the mass and the further the mass is from the axis of rotation, the higher the Moment of Inertia will be.

How is Moment of Inertia calculated?

Moment of Inertia is calculated using the formula I = ∫r²dm, where I is the Moment of Inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the mass element.

Why is the Moment of Inertia important?

The Moment of Inertia is important in understanding the rotational motion of objects and is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It helps in predicting the behavior of objects under rotational forces.

Can the Moment of Inertia be changed?

Yes, the Moment of Inertia can be changed by altering the shape, mass, or distribution of mass of an object. For example, increasing the mass or moving the mass closer to the axis of rotation will decrease the Moment of Inertia.