Calculating Moment of Inertia for Rectangular Plate | Center & Corner Axis Proof

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate with mass M and sides A and B about its centre of mass and about an axis perpendicular to the plate passing through one corner. The formula for the moment of inertia about the centre of mass is shown to be \frac{1}{12}M(a^2 + b^2) and the parallel axis theorem is mentioned as a way to find the moment of inertia about the corner axis, which is found to be \frac{1}{3}M(a^2 + b^2) using the displacement of half the diagonal. The theorem is referred to as Steiner's theorem.
johnnyb
I have to show what the moment of inertia of a rectangular plate with mass M and sides A and B is about its centre of mass. I have come up with
[tex]\frac{1}{12}M(a^2 + b^2)[/tex]

Now I have to show what the moment of inertia of the same plate is except this time about an axis perpedicular to the plate and passes through one corner. I know it is:
[tex]\frac{1}{3}M(a^2 + b^2)[/tex] But having some problems proving it

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes it is.

I = I (at centre of mass) + [tex]Md^2[/tex]

But I can't see how that can get me from the first to second equation

Easy,

[tex]I_{cm} = \frac{1}{12}M(a^2 + b^2)[/tex]

The displacement is half the diagonal, that is,

[tex]\frac{a^2 + b^2}{4}[/tex]

So add them up and you get:

[tex]I = \frac{1}{3}M(a^2 + b^2)[/tex]

:smile:

Steiner's theorem.That's the name i learned once with the theorem itself...

Daniel.

What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia or angular mass.

How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. It can also be calculated by integrating the mass distribution of an object over its entire volume.

What factors affect moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia of an object depends on its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. Objects with more mass and a larger distance from the axis of rotation have a greater moment of inertia.

Why is moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is important in physics and engineering, as it helps determine an object's rotational motion and how it responds to external forces. It is also used in designing objects such as wheels and gears.

How does moment of inertia relate to angular momentum?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of moment of inertia and angular velocity. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum for the same angular velocity, and vice versa.