Moment of intertia and net work problem

In summary, the ballerina initially spins at 1.5 revolutions per second with her arms extended. When she draws her arms in, her moment of inertia decreases to 0.88kg m^2 and her angular speed increases to 4.0 revolutions per second. To find the network she did to increase her angular speed, the equation I2W2-I1W1 can be used. However, this equation is incorrect and the correct equation for work done is W = (1/2)(I2W2^2 - I1W1^2). Using this equation, the ballerina did 175.820576 joules of work to increase her angular speed.
keylostman
A ballerian spins initially at 1.5rev/s when arms are extended. She then draws in her arms to her body and her moment of intertia is .88kg m^2 and her angular speed increases to 4.0rev/s. Determine the network she did to increase her angular speed?

To find moment of inertia was pretty simple i used IW=I2W2 for and solved for I, I(1.5rev/s * 2PI rad/1rev)=(.88kg m^2)(4.0rev/s * 2PI rad/1rev) and i got 2.3kg M^2. Ok this was fairly easy. But for Net WORK, how do i calculate it ? I am not to sure which equation to use... Is it Sum of Net WORK= I2W2-I1W1, where W is squared?

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the change in her kinetic energy.

I2W2-I1W1, where W is squared?

This equation i use correct ?

No. (It's almost right.) You used the correct equation for KE in your other thread.

1/2IW^2 ? I thought Work done would be final work - intital work,

keylostman said:
1/2IW^2 ?
Right.
I thought Work done would be final work - intital work,
The work done will equal the change in energy.

so its then .5 * .88 * (4.0 * 2pi) ?

W = (1/2) (.88)(25.13)^2 - (1/2)(2.3)(9.42)^2

W =((1 / 2) * .88 * (25.13^2)) - ((1 / 2) * 2.3 * (9.42^2)) =
W= 175.820576 joules

this is what i did, and i believe it rights, makes sense

Looks good.

1. What is moment of inertia and how is it calculated?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How does moment of inertia affect an object's rotational motion?

The larger the moment of inertia, the more difficult it is to change an object's rotational motion. This means that objects with a larger moment of inertia will require more torque to start rotating, and will also take longer to stop rotating.

3. What is the relationship between moment of inertia and net torque?

The net torque acting on an object is directly proportional to its moment of inertia. This means that the greater the moment of inertia, the greater the net torque needed to produce a certain angular acceleration.

4. How is moment of inertia related to an object's shape and mass distribution?

The moment of inertia is affected by an object's shape and mass distribution. Objects with a larger mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have a larger moment of inertia, while objects with a smaller mass or mass distributed closer to the axis of rotation will have a smaller moment of inertia.

5. How is the net work problem related to moment of inertia?

The net work problem is related to moment of inertia because the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In rotational motion, the kinetic energy is affected by the moment of inertia, so the work done will also be affected by the moment of inertia.