1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment reaction with rotation and offset CG

1. Mar 11, 2015 #1
    Hey folks,

I created and verified a model with hand calculations, and decided to re-use my same logic.. Which now is giving me false numbers. Was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Setup/Verification (See attached Reaction_Forces picture):
    • Body in motion being held down by straps.
    • Uniform Center of Gravity (CG) in model.
    • Reaction forces (in red) are found in top 4 corners, x,y,z for each.
    • Moment Force is verified by summing cross product of each force reaction (x,y,z) and its relative locations from body CG. Resulting moment is 0.5% off my program approximation. Great!
      • [reaction 1 cross product] + [R2 crossP] + [R3 crossP] + [R4 crossP] = One axis moment reaction. Perfect.
    Problem (See attached NEW_CG):
    • Same body in motion. CG is now offset from exact middle of body. New CG.
    • Reaction forces adjust accordingly as expected. Nice.
    • Moment is predicted by program with a sizeable addition in one of the 3 axis.. Roughly equivalent total though.
    • Hand calculated Moment, using same method as above with cross product of reaction forces and relative locations from NEW CG, is completely wrong. 55% wrong.
      • Are there more than 4 reaction cross products now?
    Is there something I'm not taking into account? The body is now rotating slightly, I understand there will be 2 axis forces for moment now.. But my hand calculations are so far off I feel like I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

I presume the box is standing on something? I cannot see an upward reaction force.

4. Mar 11, 2015 #3
    I apologize, yes, there is a normal force reaction and the box is sliding across a frictionless floor.

5. Mar 16, 2015 #4
    Did I post this in the correct forum? I haven't been able to figure this out yet.. Approaching the problem correctly is my greatest concern. I don't know how to account for the added rotation of the box do to the offset center of gravity. Anybody have any advice for me?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook