Moment reaction with rotation and offset CG

In summary, the model's CG was not accurately located, causing reaction forces to be off by 55%. However, the hand calculation of the moment was still correct, with a sizeable addition in one of the reaction forces.
abrooski
Hey folks,

I created and verified a model with hand calculations, and decided to re-use my same logic.. Which now is giving me false numbers. Was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Setup/Verification (See attached Reaction_Forces picture):
  • Body in motion being held down by straps.
  • Uniform Center of Gravity (CG) in model.
  • Reaction forces (in red) are found in top 4 corners, x,y,z for each.
  • Moment Force is verified by summing cross product of each force reaction (x,y,z) and its relative locations from body CG. Resulting moment is 0.5% off my program approximation. Great!
    • [reaction 1 cross product] + [R2 crossP] + [R3 crossP] + [R4 crossP] = One axis moment reaction. Perfect.
Problem (See attached NEW_CG):
  • Same body in motion. CG is now offset from exact middle of body. New CG.
  • Reaction forces adjust accordingly as expected. Nice.
  • Moment is predicted by program with a sizeable addition in one of the 3 axis.. Roughly equivalent total though.
  • Hand calculated Moment, using same method as above with cross product of reaction forces and relative locations from NEW CG, is completely wrong. 55% wrong.
    • Are there more than 4 reaction cross products now?
Is there something I'm not taking into account? The body is now rotating slightly, I understand there will be 2 axis forces for moment now.. But my hand calculations are so far off I feel like I'm missing something.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attachments

• Reaction_Forces.jpg
    Reaction_Forces.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 495
  • New_CG.jpg
    New_CG.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 432
Physics news on Phys.org
I presume the box is standing on something? I cannot see an upward reaction force.

I apologize, yes, there is a normal force reaction and the box is sliding across a frictionless floor.

Did I post this in the correct forum? I haven't been able to figure this out yet.. Approaching the problem correctly is my greatest concern. I don't know how to account for the added rotation of the box do to the offset center of gravity. Anybody have any advice for me?

1. What is a moment reaction?

A moment reaction is a force that causes a body to rotate around a specific point or axis. It is typically represented by a vector and is measured in units of torque (Nm).

2. What is rotation in the context of moment reaction?

Rotation refers to the circular movement of an object around a fixed point or axis. In the context of moment reaction, it is the result of a moment force acting on a body.

3. How does the center of gravity (CG) affect moment reaction?

The center of gravity (CG) is the point at which the entire weight of a body can be considered to act. The position of the CG relative to the point of rotation determines the magnitude and direction of the moment reaction.

4. What is the significance of offset CG in moment reaction?

Offset CG refers to the distance between the CG and the point of rotation. This distance affects the moment arm, which is the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force. A larger offset CG will result in a larger moment arm, and thus a greater moment reaction.

5. How is the moment reaction calculated with rotation and offset CG?

The moment reaction can be calculated using the formula M = F x d, where M is the moment reaction, F is the force applied, and d is the moment arm. If there are multiple forces acting on a body, the total moment reaction can be found by summing the individual moment reactions from each force.