1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moments of Cups

1. Dec 15, 2014 #1
    Hello everybody I am new here and I would like to ask a simple question about the centre of gravity and how it changes with mass, size , weight , density. etc.etc I would like to understand how this phenomenon happens and I have tried searching online to no avail so please help me understand how centre of gravity can change with the above

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

These are easy, COM scales with the dimensions of the object.
    "etc., etc.?" Those get a little tougher. Anything in particular? Geometry? Density gradient?

4. Dec 20, 2014 #3
    Example, how does the center of mass change when weights of say 50 Newtons are applied to the undersides of a bus , I understand that the mass will affect (how easy it tips) during a turn but how does this come into play when calculating center of mass or center of Gravity whichever is easier ?

5. Dec 20, 2014 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook