Momentum: Mass & Velocity - Get Answer to 2dHW

In summary, the conversation is about a problem on Brilliant.org where the goal is to find the momentum of a piece that goes due west. The equation for momentum, which is mass multiplied by velocity, is given. The solution involves finding the eastern component of m2's momentum which is equal to the momentum of the piece that went due west. The final answer is not one of the options provided and the mistake is realized by the person asking the question.
Arcthor

Homework Statement

The problem is stated here (from brilliant.org)
http://i.imgur.com/MkWwnjT.png

Homework Equations

momentum = mass * velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at a solution can be found here:
http://i.imgur.com/Zsco86W.jpg

I get the answer 0.035kg, but that is not an option. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Momentum is a vector. Only the eastern component of m2's momentum is equal to the momentum of the piece that went due west.

Nathanael said:
Momentum is a vector. Only the eastern component of m2's momentum is equal to the momentum of the piece that went due west.

Oh god this is embarassing, how could I miss that. Haha well thank you :)

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physics concept that describes the quantity of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum different from velocity?

Momentum and velocity are related but different concepts. Velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, while momentum takes into account both the object's mass and its velocity.

3. How does an object's mass affect its momentum?

An object's mass directly affects its momentum. The greater an object's mass, the greater its momentum will be at a given velocity.

4. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is: momentum = mass x velocity, or p = mv. Momentum is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s).

5. Can momentum be conserved?

Yes, according to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that in a closed system, the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction will be the same.