Solving Momentum & Energy Homework: Glider Collision

In summary, the two air track gliders of mass 0.30kg and 0.20 kg are moving towards each other with speeds of 0.50 m/s and 1.0m/s respectively. Take the direction of the more massive glider as positive.
twenty5

Homework Statement

Two air track gliders of mass 0.30kg and 0.20 kg are moving towards each other with speeds of 0.50 m/s and 1.0m/s respectively. Take the direction of the more massive glider as positive.

A) if the collision is elastic, find the velocity of each glider after the collision.

Answer is: [ -0.70m/s , 0.80m/s ]

Homework Equations

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2 ) v'

Ek = 1/2 mv2

for.. elastic equations i think..
Ek = Ek'

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried using the v1' and v2' equations and subbing in the values, but the answer was not correct O_O. Uhm.. I just need a little hand on where to go next! (Note: I've also tried drawing the diagrams and I think they are correct xP) okay I've got one of the answers.. -0.7m/s but with that 1 equation.. how do I get the other answer lol...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first two equations are not correct. How did you get those equations? Remember that in an eleastic collision, both momentum and energy are conserved.

Mattowander said:
Your first two equations are not correct. How did you get those equations? Remember that in an eleastic collision, both momentum and energy are conserved.

1 quick question, how do I know if the system is a conserved momentum or... not? if it is conserved momentum.. I believe I would use 1/2 Mv^2 + 1/2 mv^2 = 1/2 mv'^2 + 1/2 mv'^2

(didn't put the little signs =P)

As I understand it, in nearly all collisions, momentum is conserved. In inelastic collisions, energy is not conserved.

Mattowander said:
As I understand it, in nearly all collisions, momentum is conserved. In inelastic collisions, energy is not conserved.

mmm k that helped ^^

ok just want to double check here...

so basically.. for all or most questions that involve a collision other then inelastic, it's associated with the formula...

m1v1 + m2v2 = (m1 + m2 ) v'

EDIT: okay I just used that, and only got the final velocity of 1 of the objects lol...
errr.. still trying x.x
think i just got it ..

Last edited:
blaghh nvm I didn't get the second final velocity..

No. That equation would be used for what are called perfectly inelastic collisions. In this situation, energy is NOT conserved, and the objects stick together. That's why the right hand side of the equation has the (m1+m2) term.

However, in this problem we are dealing with elastic collisions and so we would use this equation to represent the conservation of momentum.

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1V1f + m2V2f where the f subscript represents the velocity of the mass after the collision. Hopefully that helps!

Mattowander said:
No. That equation would be used for what are called perfectly inelastic collisions. In this situation, energy is NOT conserved, and the objects stick together. That's why the right hand side of the equation has the (m1+m2) term.

However, in this problem we are dealing with elastic collisions and so we would use this equation to represent the conservation of momentum.

m1v1 + m2v2 = m1V1f + m2V2f where the f subscript represents the velocity of the mass after the collision. Hopefully that helps!

hm.. I think that cleans up some bit of stuff rofl thanks.. if I run into any trouble I'll post back in about 3 - 5 minutes

Last edited:
If I use that equation.. wouldn't I have 2 unknown variables? V1f and V2f?

ok well, I used that equation and I ended up with

0.35 = 0.3v1' + 0.2v2'

You would. However, you can also use the fact that kinetic energy is conserved to formulate a second equation. With two equations and two unknown variables, you should be able to solve.

Remember, K.E. = 1/2mv^2

uhmm I used the 1/2 mv12 + 1/2mv22 = 1/2 mv12 + 1/2 mv22

... Ek1 + Ek2 = Ek1' + Ek2'...?

and I ended up with a weird number for V12'

What number did you end up with?

You need to use a combination of the conservation of energy equation and conservation of momentum equation. You have two unknown variables. You can solve for one of these unknown's in terms of the other unknown variable, and then plug that into the second equation

Mattowander said:
What number did you end up with?

You need to use a combination of the conservation of energy equation and conservation of momentum equation. You have two unknown variables. You can solve for one of these unknown's in terms of the other unknown variable, and then plug that into the second equation

is the formula I typed right above your post correct?

ok well I got Square Root of ( ( 0.1375 - 0.1v22')/ 0.15) = V1'

twenty5 said:
uhmm I used the 1/2 mv12 + 1/2mv22 = 1/2 mv12 + 1/2 mv22

... Ek1 + Ek2 = Ek1' + Ek2'...?

and I ended up with a weird number for V12'

The first equation is wrong ( or you forgot your subscripts ). You forgot to label the masses m1 and m2, and in your equation the velocities are the same on both sides. A more precise equation would be

1/2m1v1^2 + 1/2m2v2^2 = 1/2m1v1f^2 + 1/2m2v2f^2.

I know it's kind of confusing, especially typed out. Hopefully it makes sense to you!

BUUMP still need help =/ I gots a test tomorrow

1. How do I calculate the momentum of a glider after a collision?

To calculate the momentum of a glider after a collision, you will need to know the mass and velocity of the glider before and after the collision. The equation for momentum is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. To calculate the momentum after the collision, simply plug in the new velocity and mass values into the equation.

2. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in the collision remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system.

3. How do I determine the type of collision that occurred between two gliders?

To determine the type of collision between two gliders, you will need to analyze the velocities of the gliders before and after the collision. If the velocities are equal before and after the collision, it is an elastic collision. If the velocities are not equal before and after the collision, it is an inelastic collision. Additionally, if the gliders stick together after the collision, it is a completely inelastic collision.

4. Can I use the law of conservation of energy to solve problems involving glider collisions?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy can be used to solve problems involving glider collisions. Energy is conserved in a closed system, so the total energy before the collision will be equal to the total energy after the collision. However, keep in mind that kinetic energy is the only form of energy considered in collisions between gliders.

5. Are there any real-life applications of solving glider collision problems?

Yes, the principles of momentum and energy conservation are used in various real-life applications, such as car crashes or sports collisions. By understanding these concepts, engineers and scientists can design safer and more efficient products and structures. Additionally, these principles are also used in physics experiments and simulations to study the behavior of objects in motion.