Calculating Momentum and Impulse of a Golf Ball and Club

In summary, a golfer hits a 0.045 kg golf ball at an angle of 60 degrees to the horizontal, and it travels 60.0 m horizontally in 8.00 seconds. The golf club, with a mass of 0.60 kg, is in contact with the ball for 2.40 milliseconds. Using the formula Impulse = (p2-p1)/(t2-t1) and the fact that the horizontal velocity stays constant for projectiles, we can find the horizontal component of velocity. Then, knowing the angle and the time of contact, we can find the initial speed of the ball.
Black_Hole???
A golfer hits a golf ball of mass 0.045 kg the ball over some short trees. He hits the ball at
an angle of 600 to the horizontal and it travels a horizontal distance (Range) of 60.0 m in a
time of 8.00 s. The golf club of mass 0.60 kg is in contact with the ball for a time of 2.40
ms.

(a) What is the average impulsive force on the golf ball?

ANSWER: ____________ ___

(b) What is the average impulsive force on the golf club?

ANSWER: ____________ ___

(c) What is the change in momentum of the golf club?

ANSWER: Change in Momentum = ___________ ______

Answers are suppose to be A1) 281.25 A2) -281.25 A3) -.675 kgm/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Don,t say bump
Open the book. Find the relevant formula. Show your effort.

refresh. Just putting the forums on my subscription. not trying to get people to do it for me

Ok i know the formula that i need to use but i don't know how to solve for velocity of the ball.

What i would use though if i had the velocity of the ball would be.

Impulse = (p2-p1)/(t2-t1)

P = mv which is finding momentum.

I have an idea in which to find the velocity and that would be a free falling problem. But i can't get anything to work.

If you have any ideas please help.

Thanks

refresh

refresh

Someone please help

If it covers 60 m in 8s, what is the horizontal component of velocity?
(horizontal v stays constant for projectiles)
And then, you know the angle which would help you find the y component and you get the initial speed after 2.40 ms contact ...

1. How is momentum calculated for a golf ball?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying the mass of the golf ball by its velocity. This can be represented by the equation p = m x v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

2. What is the difference between linear momentum and angular momentum in regards to a golf club?

Linear momentum refers to the forward motion of the golf club, while angular momentum refers to the rotation of the club around its axis. To calculate angular momentum, the moment of inertia (a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion) must also be taken into account.

3. How is the impulse of a golf ball and club related to momentum?

Impulse is the change in momentum over time. When a golf club strikes a ball, it applies a force over a period of time, resulting in a change in the ball's momentum. The greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum and the farther the ball will travel.

4. What factors affect the momentum and impulse of a golf ball and club?

The mass and velocity of the golf ball and club are the main factors that affect momentum and impulse. Other factors such as the angle and speed of the swing, as well as the type of club used, can also impact these values.

5. How can the momentum and impulse of a golf ball and club be optimized for maximum distance?

To maximize the momentum and impulse of a golf ball and club, it is important to have a high velocity and appropriate mass for both the ball and club. Additionally, having a smooth and consistent swing with proper technique can also help optimize these values for maximum distance.