Momentum & Impulse: Find Average Force in Elastic Collision

In summary, to find the average force exerted on the stationary locomotive during the perfectly elastic collision with a moving locomotive of equal mass, one must first calculate the change in momentum using the formula Δp = m1v1 - m1v2. Then, using the formula F = Δp/t, the average force can be determined by dividing the change in momentum by the duration of the collision. It is important to note that the initial momentum of the stationary locomotive is zero, so the final momentum can be used in the calculations.
mizzy

Homework Statement

A locomotive of mass 21x10^3kg traveling at 2.0m/s runs into an identical stationary locomotive.

If the collision is perfectly elastic and lasts for 1.5s, find the average force exerted on the stationary locomotive during the collision.

Homework Equations

Find momentum before and after the collision (m1v2 + m2v2 = m1v2 + m2v2)

Use impluse to find the average force (F = p/t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the momentum before and after the collision.

For the second part, I'm not sure which momentum to use. The final one?

Can someone tell me if I'm right?

Physics news on Phys.org
mizzy said:
Use impluse to find the average force (F = p/t)
That should be F = Δp/t.

For the second part, I'm not sure which momentum to use. The final one?
You need the change in momentum.

the change in momentum after the collision?

mizzy said:
the change in momentum after the collision?
Change = Final - Initial

I guess the initial momentum of the stationary locomotive was zero; so you're OK with using the final momentum. :smile:

FAQ: Momentum & Impulse: Find Average Force in Elastic Collision

1. What is momentum and impulse?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. Impulse is the change in an object's momentum over time, and is equal to the force applied to the object multiplied by the time interval.

2. How do you calculate average force in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, the total momentum of the system is conserved. To find the average force, you can divide the change in momentum by the time interval of the collision.

3. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved bounce off each other without any energy being lost.

4. What is the difference between momentum and kinetic energy?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, while kinetic energy is a measure of its energy due to motion. Momentum depends on both an object's mass and velocity, while kinetic energy only depends on its velocity.

5. How does average force in an elastic collision affect the objects involved?

The average force in an elastic collision determines the amount of force that each object experiences during the collision. This can affect the final velocities and directions of the objects after the collision.

Back