Momentum and work energy question

You should get the same answer whether you use the skater of 36 kg or the skater of 24 kg.In summary, the problem involves two skaters on roller skates pushing off each other in opposite directions. One skater weighs 36kg and moves 15m before stopping, while the other weighs 24kg. The question asks how far the second skater moves before stopping, assuming they experience the same frictional force by the path and negligible friction force during the push. This problem can be solved using conservation of momentum equations and a work-energy equation. After pushing apart, the skaters still have zero momentum, so the momentum for one will be opposite in direction to the momentum of the other. During the stopping
nugget

Homework Statement

Two kids on roller skates push off each other in opposite directions. One weighs 36kg and he rolls 15m before stopping, the other weighs 24kg, how far does he move before stopping? Assume they experience the same frictional force by the path - assume friction force is negligible during the time the push each other away - This involves both momentum and work energy.

Homework Equations

From the question I assume this involves conservation of momentum equations and a work-energy equation (but i don't know any!)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use straight line motion equations but we are not given initial velocity, then I tried to use momentum equations but couldn't and am now at a loss.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, a peculiar question.
Conservation of momentum applies to the pushing apart. They begin with zero momentum, so they still have zero momentum after pushing apart. The mv for one will be minus the mv of the other. Each has momentum p = mv.

During the stopping, they do work on the ice through the friction force. This dissipates the kinetic energy. So you must now think in terms of kinetic energy, not momentum.
K = .5*m*v^2 = p^2/(2m)
The idea is to keep the p (forget the v) because you know p is the same for both skaters.

To finish it, do K = W = F*d for the skater with the known stopping distance.
This should give you an expression for the friction force F.

Then do K = F*d for the second skater and replace F with that expression.
Finally, solve for d and calculate.

hey i get 22.5, have i done it correctly?

Right on!

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to an object's mass and velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to an object's mass and velocity. This means that as an object's mass or velocity increases, its momentum will also increase.

3. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

4. What is work energy?

Work energy is a measure of the amount of work that is done on an object to change its energy. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance it moves in the direction of that force.

5. How is work energy related to an object's mass, velocity, and height?

The work energy of an object is directly proportional to its mass, the square of its velocity, and its height. This means that as any of these factors increase, the work energy will also increase.