Momentum change after explosion

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the effect of a spring on a trolley's momentum. The first image shows the question, with no provided answer. The person asks if the spring's impulse caused the change in momentum, but since the spring gets its energy from the trolley, how can it increase the trolley's momentum? The expert explains that it's the outside force acting on the trolley that causes the change in momentum. The second image shows a supplementary question with the solution in the third image. The expert confirms the solution is correct and there is no shorter way to solve it.
coconut62
1. Please refer to the first image, the yellow star question. No answer is provided at the back so I'm not very sure whether my reasoning is correct. Is it because the spring exerted an impulse on that trolley, causing its momentum to change? But all the spring's energy was provided by the trolley, how can it increase the trolley's momentum when it does not have any initial energy itself?

2. (This is a supplementary question :blushing:) The yellow star question in image 2. My workings in image 3. Is there any shorter solution?

Attachments

• 20130404_210054.jpg
    20130404_210054.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 423
  • 20130404_212339.jpg
    20130404_212339.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 443
  • 20130404_212903.jpg
    20130404_212903.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
where is the image?

There.

Error just now, heh heh.

coconut62 said:
1. Please refer to the first image, the yellow star question. No answer is provided at the back so I'm not very sure whether my reasoning is correct. Is it because the spring exerted an impulse on that trolley, causing its momentum to change? But all the spring's energy was provided by the trolley, how can it increase the trolley's momentum when it does not have any initial energy itself?
The relevant fact is that an outside force acted on the trolleys. That produces a change in momentum. The fact that the trolley just bounces off the spring with the same energy does not change the fact that its momentum was reversed.

2. (This is a supplementary question :blushing:) The yellow star question in image 2. My workings in image 3. Is there any shorter solution?
Your solution looks good. I don't think there's a shorter way. I would have done the same.

Thank you.

1. How does an explosion affect momentum?

An explosion can cause a change in the momentum of objects by creating a force that pushes them in different directions. This can either increase or decrease the overall momentum depending on the direction of the force and the mass of the objects.

2. What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant before and after a collision or explosion. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in the explosion or collision will be the same before and after the event.

3. How does the mass of objects affect momentum change after an explosion?

The mass of objects plays a significant role in determining the momentum change after an explosion. Objects with a larger mass will experience a smaller change in momentum compared to objects with a smaller mass, assuming the force of the explosion is the same for both objects.

4. Can momentum be conserved in an explosion?

Yes, momentum can be conserved in an explosion as long as the explosion occurs in a closed system where no external forces are acting on the objects before or after the explosion. In this case, the total momentum of all objects involved in the explosion will remain constant.

5. How can the momentum change after an explosion be calculated?

The momentum change after an explosion can be calculated using the formula: Δp = mΔv, where Δp is the change in momentum, m is the mass of the object, and Δv is the change in velocity. The direction of the change in momentum will depend on the direction of the force of the explosion.