1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum Issues

1. Mar 16, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement:
    A 98 kg man lying on a surface of negligible friction shoves a 86 g stone away from himself, giving it a speed of 4.5 m/s. What speed does the man acquire as a result?

2. Relevant equations:
    Pi = Pf
    M1V1 + M2V2 = M1V1 + M2V2

3. The attempt at a solution:

I've tried the formula above, and I got this far:

98 x 0 + 0.086 x 0 = 98 x X + 0.086 x 4.5
    0 = 98X + 0.387
    -0.387 = 98X
    -0.387/98 = X
    X = -0.00394897959 m/s

That's what I got. I have a feeling that I've done something wrong. The online Assignment system is telling me my answer is wrong, so what am I doing wrong? Have I missed something? All help is greatly appreciated :D

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 16, 2009 #2

When you are substituting the velocity into the equation, the left side of the equation. The equation normally should look more like this:

[tex]m_a*u_a-m_b*u_b=m_a*v_a+m_b*v_b[/tex]

By the way, I state "u" as the initial velocity of the object(s), and "v" as the final.

4. Mar 16, 2009 #3
    If you're taking the direction of the stone's velocity to be positive, the other has to be negative since its in the opposite direction. ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook