Momentum/Kinetic Energy Problem

• Thread starter ClassicRock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: I'll stick to the conservation of momentum to be safe.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the final speed of a second car in an elastic collision with an initial speed. The conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy are both used to solve the problem, but the collision is determined to be nearly elastic, resulting in slightly different answers. The conversation concludes by stating that it is safer to use the conservation of momentum in this case.
ClassicRock

Homework Statement

A car moving with an initial speed v collides with a second stationary car that is 52.9 percent as massive. After the collision the first car moves in the same direction as before with a speed that is 31.8 percent of the original speed. Calculate the final speed of the second car. Give your answer in units of the initial speed (i.e. as a fraction of v).

Homework Equations

P=mv
Ke=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted this solution using the conservation of momentum and the conservation of energy. I seem to get different answer with both though. I don't understand why I can't use the conservation of energy law to figure out this problem instead of using the conservation of momentum. Help is much appreciated

Thanks, ClassicRock

Physics news on Phys.org
In a collision, momentum is always conserved; however, kinetic energy is conserved only in elastic collisions. Your calculations suggest the collision isn't elastic.

The collision is elastic. That is actually the second part of the question.

it's not stated that the collision is elastic.So you cannot use conservation of energy in this case.

Welcome to Physics Forums!

My calculations show the collision is nearly elastic but not quite.

In the second part of the question it states that this is an elastic collision. Maybe that's why when I use the conservation of energy my number is within .01 of the conservation of momentum answer.
conservation of momentum gives me 1.29
conservation of energy gives me 1.30

Thank you for the help. Maybe the problem set has the wrong answer

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, determined by its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is directly proportional to an object's mass and the square of its velocity.

How are momentum and kinetic energy related?

Momentum and kinetic energy are related in that they both depend on an object's mass and velocity. However, momentum is a vector quantity while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity.

How do you calculate momentum?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. The formula is p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that momentum is conserved, or remains the same, in a system as long as there are no external forces acting on it.