Momentum & Light: Exploring GR & EM Spectrum

In summary: Zz.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of momentum in light and how it is perceived in both classical mechanics and general relativity. While in classical mechanics, light is considered to have no momentum due to its lack of mass, in general relativity, it is seen to have momentum due to the change in definition of momentum. The conversation also touches on the concept of radiation pressure, which is caused by the change in momentum of photons when they interact with a surface. Additionally, the conversation delves into the derivation of the equation p = E/c and its units in terms of energy and speed of light.
woodysooner
In classical mech since light has no mass it had no p cause p=mv with m at 0 you have no momenum nor a force correct, by take the der.

But in GR, how is light considered to have momentum, I read somehting about Einstein saying that in the GR field EM spectrum could now be called matter. Wow interesting but how... just becuase EM now has momentum.

Also found

p = E/c which holds for a light-speed massless particle. is that E energy and if so pot or K or both just take - of the other.??

can someone derive this?

also in GR since the definition of momentum changed did also the defintion of a force. That would include all Em spectrum to apply a force also light shined from a flashlight.

I know of radiation pressure felt by such things is this kind of like the force that is felt by a burst of photons falling on an object.

By no means am I qualified in any of this stuff just trying to learn, so feel free to hammer anything I have messed up in assuming or if my definitons are lacking horribly. But if anyone could answer a little of this I would be greatly appreciative.

Science news on Phys.org
I think this is how its derived...
[tex]E = mc^2[/tex]
[tex]E/c = mc[/tex] (mc is mass times the velocity of light, which is momentum)
[tex]E/c = p[/tex]

I think there's another way to derive it, by using the total energy equation.
[tex]E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2v^2[/tex]
Since the photon is moving at velocity c, and has mass 0, we plug those in...
[tex]E^2 = 0^2c^4 + p^2c^2[/tex]
[tex]E^2 = p^2c^2[/tex]
[tex]E^2/c^2 = p^2[/tex]
[tex]E/c = p[/tex]

wow, that was nicely done, thanks alot.

E/c = P

but what is E/c are we calling that light

and what are the units for E/c

woodysooner said:
In classical mech since light has no mass it had no p cause p=mv with m at 0 you have no momenum nor a force correct, by take the der.

This is incorrect and a common misconception.

If you open a good E&M text, (example: Jackson's Classical Electrodynamics), you will encounter a section on "radiation pressure" exerted by light. This came about even with a purely classical treatment of light (i.e. not as photons) - a lot of this work was attributed to P.N. Lebedev. Since "pressure" implies a "change in momentum", this clearly shows that even the classical version of light also contains a description of light having a momentum.

Zz.

The E part of E/c is energy. The c part is the speed of light.

Energy is measured in Joules (Newton-meters or kg*m^2/sec^2).
The speed of light is measured in meters/sec.

That puts your momentum into kg*m/sec.

The E is found by multiplying the frequency times Planck's constant.

Planck's constant is about 6.626 x 10^-34 Joule seconds.
Frequency is measured in Hertz (cycles per second - the cycles are unitless, just as radians are).

Since blue light has a higher frequency than red light, blue light has more energy than red light, etc.

I know of radiation pressure felt by such things is this kind of like the force that is felt by a burst of photons falling on an object.

zapper you didint' read my whole post?

Since "pressure" implies a "change in momentum", this clearly shows that even the classical version of light also contains a description of light having a momentum.

change in momentum with respect to what..

force is with respect to time right? so is pressure the change in momentum with respect to position or what.

woodysooner said:
zapper you didint' read my whole post?

I did! You equate "radiation pressure" with photons, which isn't part of the classical picture. Thus, you stated that the classical idea contains no concept of momentum of light, since light has no mass. I disagreed with this by pointing out that with JUST using classical E&M, you can still show that light has a momentum without having to invoke modern physics into it.

Zz.

ok I'm sorry, your right

By no means am I qualified in any of this stuff just trying to learn

This came about even with a purely classical treatment of light (i.e. not as photons)

what was it then?? just light, did they not know of photons, and is what is radiation pressure caused from if not by photons, i thought it would be the change in the momentum of photons with respect to position.

woodysooner said:
change in momentum with respect to what..

force is with respect to time right? so is pressure the change in momentum with respect to position or what.

Er... you do know that F = dp/dt, ya? Furthermore, "pressure" is also proportional to this rate of change of momentum. When light impinges on a surface, if it is either absorbed, or reflected, it has undergone a change in momentum (simple classical mechanics). That is the "change in momentum" that I talked about.

Zz.

Im sorry zapperz,, really i don't want to upset you, let me look around and learn some more before I ask questions, k, so no one gets frusterated, thanks though.

woodysooner said:
what was it then?? just light, did they not know of photons, and is what is radiation pressure caused from if not by photons, i thought it would be the change in the momentum of photons with respect to position.

The treatment isn't trivial to describe on here if you haven't had basic E&M. Suffice to say that the E-field vector in light plays a significant role in generating a momentum effect when it impinges upon a surface. That is why this momentum transfer (from light to a surface) is most efficient when the surface is metallic (which is why most solar sails in Sci-Fi books are made of mylar). A metallic surface has "free" conduction electrons, and these electrons are the most easily effected by the oscillating E-field that's present in EM radiation. This interaction between the oscillating E-field in the EM radiation and the surface electrons imparts a "recoil" effect onto the surface. This is what produces the apparent momentum in the classical picture of light, without having to invoke any photon picture.

Zz.

The sad thing is I have had basic EM

btw very good definition I see now.

Related to Momentum & Light: Exploring GR & EM Spectrum

1. What is momentum and why is it important in physics?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity. It is important in physics because it helps us understand how objects move and interact with each other. In many cases, momentum is conserved, meaning it stays constant unless acted upon by an external force.

2. How does general relativity explain the concept of momentum?

In general relativity, momentum is described as the four-momentum, which takes into account an object's mass, energy, and four-dimensional velocity. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of particles in curved space-time, as described by Einstein's theory of gravity.

3. What is the electromagnetic spectrum and how does it relate to momentum?

The electromagnetic spectrum is the range of all possible frequencies of electromagnetic radiation. It includes everything from radio waves and microwaves to visible light, x-rays, and gamma rays. Momentum is related to the electromagnetic spectrum through the concept of photon momentum, which is the momentum carried by a photon of light.

4. How does the speed of light play a role in both general relativity and electromagnetism?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant in both general relativity and electromagnetism. In general relativity, the speed of light is used to define the curvature of space-time. In electromagnetism, it is the maximum speed at which all electromagnetic waves (including light) can travel.

5. Can momentum be transferred between different forms of electromagnetic radiation?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between different forms of electromagnetic radiation. This is known as radiation pressure and is the force exerted by light or other forms of electromagnetic radiation on an object. It is responsible for phenomena such as solar sails and the movement of comets in our solar system.