Momentum of a Photon - Is My Understanding Correct?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter rohanprabhu
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Momentum Photon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
rohanprabhu
Messages
410
Reaction score
2
This thing has troubled me for a long time.. but i think this is eventually starting to get clear to me.

When we say a photon has a momentum 'p', the momentum isn't it's mass times the velocity.. but it can be interpreted as: If the photon [having frequency [itex]f_1[/itex]] collides with any other particle, and an elastic collision takes place.. and it's frequency now is [itex]f_2[/itex], then the momentum imparted to the particle is: [tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}(f_2 - f_1)[/itex]<br /> <br /> am i right?[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For a photon, momentum, p = E/c = h[itex]\nu[/itex]/c, and a change would be given by

[tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}{(f_2 - f_1)}[/tex], where h/c is a constant. I used nu for frequency f.
 
Astronuc said:
For a photon, momentum, p = E/c = h[itex]\nu[/itex]/c, and a change would be given by

[tex]\Delta p = \frac{h}{c}{(f_2 - f_1)}[/tex], where h/c is a constant. I used nu for frequency f.

well.. i actually.. said the same thing. I don't get what you were trying to explain. Can u please explain? thanks.
 
rohanprabhu said:
well.. i actually.. said the same thing. I don't get what you were trying to explain. Can u please explain? thanks.
I was explaining that a photon of energy E and a momentum of p = E/c. When a photon scatters (interacts with a particle), there will a change in energy and momentum, and the change in p = (Ei - Ef)/c. This is demonstrated in the Compton effect.