Momentum Problem: Find Recoil Velocities of Astronauts

• Thread starter kudu91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the astronauts on the international space station are playing catch in the Columbus module with a 75.0kg astronaut throwing a .140kg ball at 20.0m/s and the 89.0kg astronaut catching and throwing it back at 18m/s. The problem involves finding the recoil velocities of each astronaut after the ball is thrown. To solve this, we can use the equation momentum 1 = momentum 2, as momentum is conserved in an isolated system. This is an elastic collision, meaning that MV1 = MV2. Recoil velocity refers to the velocity in the opposite direction.
kudu91

Homework Statement

Astronauts are playing catch on the international space station while floating in the Columbus module. One astronaut with mass of 75.0kg, initially at rest, throws a .140kg ball with a speed of 20.0m/s. The second astronaut of mass 89.0 kg catches the ball and throws it back with a speed of 18 m/s relative to the station. What are the recoil velocities of the two astronauts?

Homework Equations

what i need help on is how to start the problem, also what are recoil velocities?

The Attempt at a Solution

i figured i would use the equation momentum 1 = momentum 2, but i don't know what i am to solve for.
i figure since the system is isolated the momentum is conserved, this means its an elastic collision so MV1 = MV2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i also know that momentum = mass * velocity, and recoil velocity means the velocity in the opposite direction.

1. What is momentum and how does it relate to the recoil velocities of astronauts?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is equal to the mass of an object multiplied by its velocity. In the context of the recoil velocities of astronauts, momentum is important because it determines the amount of force and velocity that will be transferred to the astronauts when they are propelled by a force, such as a rocket engine.

2. How are the recoil velocities of astronauts calculated?

The recoil velocities of astronauts can be calculated using the law of conservation of momentum. This law states that in a closed system, the total momentum before an event is equal to the total momentum after the event. In the case of astronauts, the closed system includes the astronaut and their spacecraft. By knowing the mass and velocity of the spacecraft and the force applied by the rocket engine, we can calculate the resulting recoil velocities of the astronauts.

3. What factors can affect the recoil velocities of astronauts?

The main factor that affects the recoil velocities of astronauts is the amount of force applied by the rocket engine. The greater the force, the higher the recoil velocities will be. Additionally, the mass and velocity of the spacecraft also play a role in determining the recoil velocities. The larger the mass of the spacecraft, the smaller the resulting recoil velocities will be. Similarly, a higher velocity of the spacecraft will result in a smaller recoil velocity for the astronauts.

4. Can the recoil velocities of astronauts be controlled?

Yes, the recoil velocities of astronauts can be controlled by adjusting the amount of force applied by the rocket engine. By increasing or decreasing the force, the resulting recoil velocities can be altered. This is important for ensuring the safety and success of space missions, as the recoil velocities must be carefully controlled to prevent harm to the astronauts and their spacecraft.

5. How do the recoil velocities of astronauts affect their trajectory in space?

The recoil velocities of astronauts can significantly impact their trajectory in space. If the recoil velocities are too high, the astronauts may be propelled too far away from their desired destination. On the other hand, if the recoil velocities are too low, the astronauts may not reach their destination at all. Therefore, it is crucial to carefully calculate and control the recoil velocities to ensure the astronauts reach their intended destination in space.