1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum question help

1. Nov 9, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    V of Alpha at T1 = 10^7
    V of Alpha at T2 = 0.6 x 10^7
    Mass of Alpha = 4x mass of proton

2. Relevant equations
    P=MV
    P1 = P2

3. The attempt at a solution
    Bear in mind that I am a year 11 IGCSE student. This is from the textbook at the end of the chapter of forces and motion detailing simple momentum and speed equations.
    I've tried many solutions that produce varied results for me. SAM_1080~2.JPG

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2015 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Can you show us what you have obtained and explain why you think it is incorrect?

4. Nov 9, 2015 #3
    I could only ever get as far as arranging the equation using the principle that Momentum before = momentum after. But as I have no values for the masses I found I could not rearrange.
    p1= 4m x 107
    P2= (4m x107x0.6) + (m x V)
    P1 = P2

As you can see I'm stumped here.

5. Nov 9, 2015 #4

DrClaude

You just need to continue. In that last equation, substitute P1 and P2 using the other equalities you have, and try and find and equation for V.

6. Nov 9, 2015 #5
    But surely it would be impossible to get a value for V ? Given that we don't know the mass of m or 4m.

7. Nov 9, 2015 #6

DrClaude

Write out the equations and see what happens.

8. Nov 14, 2015 #7
    20151111_181250-1-1.jpg Sorry for the late reply.

I reached an answer and my working is attached.
    Is it okay to presume M as any number? As long as the ratio of the mass stays 4:1?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted