Calculating Momentum and Speed: IGCSE Forces and Motion Textbook Example

• Thread starter SuchBants
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Momentum
In summary, the conversation involves a student struggling with a momentum problem involving the velocity of alpha particles at different temperatures and the mass of the alpha particles compared to a proton. The student is unable to solve the problem due to not having values for the masses. However, after some guidance, the student is able to continue with the problem and reach an answer. It is suggested that M can be any number as long as the ratio of the mass stays at 4:1.
SuchBants

Homework Statement

V of Alpha at T1 = 10^7
V of Alpha at T2 = 0.6 x 10^7
Mass of Alpha = 4x mass of proton

Homework Equations

P=MV
P1 = P2

The Attempt at a Solution

Bear in mind that I am a year 11 IGCSE student. This is from the textbook at the end of the chapter of forces and motion detailing simple momentum and speed equations.
I've tried many solutions that produce varied results for me.
SAM_1080~2.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us what you have obtained and explain why you think it is incorrect?

I could only ever get as far as arranging the equation using the principle that Momentum before = momentum after. But as I have no values for the masses I found I could not rearrange.
p1= 4m x 107
P2= (4m x107x0.6) + (m x V)
P1 = P2

As you can see I'm stumped here.

SuchBants said:
I could only ever get as far as arranging the equation using the principle that Momentum before = momentum after. But as I have no values for the masses I found I could not rearrange.
p1= 4m x 107
P2= (4m x107x0.6) + (m x V)
P1 = P2

As you can see I'm stumped here.
You just need to continue. In that last equation, substitute P1 and P2 using the other equalities you have, and try and find and equation for V.

But surely it would be impossible to get a value for V ? Given that we don't know the mass of m or 4m.

SuchBants said:
But surely it would be impossible to get a value for V ? Given that we don't know the mass of m or 4m.
Write out the equations and see what happens.

20151111_181250-1-1.jpg
Sorry for the late reply.

I reached an answer and my working is attached.
Is it okay to presume M as any number? As long as the ratio of the mass stays 4:1?

What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v), using the formula p = m x v.

What is the unit of momentum?

The unit of momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg-m/s) in the SI (International System of Units) system.

Why is momentum important in physics?

Momentum is important in physics because it is a fundamental property of moving objects. It helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects in motion, and is conserved in all types of collisions.

How is momentum related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is directly proportional to the rate of change of momentum. This means that the greater the force acting on an object, the greater its change in momentum will be.