Monochromators and the physics behind them

• Thread starter Valce
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: Wave optics is sufficient for refraction if the wave speed in each medium is known. (How is dispersion supposed to be relevant for a monochromator?) If he wants to go deeper (i.e., determine the wave speed for himself) he'll basically need QM, not just EM. EM alone might be able to give a deeper understanding of a grating, maybe. Still, it'd be silly to delve so far to understand something that is common to all classical wave systems, and in no way specific to electromagnetism. (In fact it's worse than that, since whatever is learned in that way can no longer be immediately applied to other common types of waves.)
Valce
Hey! I'm looking for a textbook that talks about monochromators and the physics behind them to some extent. I've already started a general Photonics book along with some supplements, but my prof tells me I'll need to get something more specific to monochromators as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's the intro wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monochromator

Not sure about textbooks -- seems like some optics books would cover them. I'm going to move this thread from EE to the General Physics forum to get some better feedback for you.

Thanks! By the way, should I be focusing more on wave or electromagnetic optics to understand how a monochromator works?

Valce said:
Thanks! By the way, should I be focusing more on wave or electromagnetic optics to understand how a monochromator works?

Sorry, I don't understand the question. What do you mean by wave versus EM optics?

It's a simple wave effect, so EM is unnecessary.

cesiumfrog said:
It's a simple wave effect, so EM is unnecessary.
Well, actually, it depends: if he wants to go deep into refraction and dispersion mechanisms (in the case the monochromator uses a prism an not a diffractio grating to separate the wavelenght), he needs EM too.

lightarrow said:
Well, actually, it depends: if he wants to go deep into refraction and dispersion mechanisms (in the case the monochromator uses a prism an not a diffractio grating to separate the wavelenght), he needs EM too.

Wave optics is sufficient for refraction if the wave speed in each medium is known. (How is dispersion supposed to be relevant for a monochromator?) If he wants to go deeper (i.e., determine the wave speed for himself) he'll basically need QM, not just EM. EM alone might be able to give a deeper understanding of a grating, maybe. Still, it'd be silly to delve so far to understand something that is common to all classical wave systems, and in no way specific to electromagnetism. (In fact it's worse than that, since whatever is learned in that way can no longer be immediately applied to other common types of waves.)

Last edited:

Related to Monochromators and the physics behind them

1. What is a monochromator?

A monochromator is an optical device used in spectroscopy to select a specific wavelength of light from a source. It works by dispersing white light into its component wavelengths and then allowing only the desired wavelength to pass through for further analysis.

2. How does a monochromator work?

A monochromator uses a combination of diffraction and refraction to separate white light into its component wavelengths. This is achieved through a series of optical elements, such as prisms or gratings, which disperse the light at different angles. A slit is then used to select a specific wavelength, which is then focused onto a detector for measurement.

3. What is the purpose of using a monochromator?

The main purpose of using a monochromator is to isolate a specific wavelength of light for analysis. This is important in various scientific fields, such as spectroscopy and microscopy, where precise measurements of light intensity at specific wavelengths are necessary for accurate data analysis.

4. What are some common applications of monochromators?

Monochromators have a wide range of applications in different scientific fields. Some common uses include fluorescence spectroscopy, Raman spectroscopy, and absorption spectroscopy. They are also used in light sources for microscopy and in laser systems for controlling the wavelength of the output.

5. What is the relationship between monochromators and the physics of light?

The physics of light is the fundamental basis for the functioning of monochromators. The principles of diffraction, refraction, and interference are all utilized in the design and operation of monochromators. Understanding the properties of light and how it behaves is crucial for the proper use and interpretation of data obtained from monochromators.