Monte carlo without detailed balancing

• Thread starter shetland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monte carlo
In summary, it seems like you have a solid approach for your project and it is important to consider both computational efficiency and detailed balance. It may also be beneficial to seek feedback and advice from others in order to ensure the accuracy and effectiveness of your method.
shetland
Hello, I am finishing a computational project, one that is using monte carlo to simulate a lennard-jones fluid.

Very straightforward project - the only twist is one that asks to come up with an algorithm/method that moves all particles at once, rather than the trad method of one at a time, do acceptance/reject check, and so on.

I believe there are two components - to learn something about the computational efficiency with either method (move one at a time is generally more efficient), but also something of detailed balance.

In any case, my thought is to select say (and this number is arbitrary - for sake of argument) at random, twenty particles out of the ensemble - do the displacement - store in an array these new positions, hand off to the energy routine to do a total energy of the new system, compare with original energy, and voila - pretty much the same as when you consider one particle at a time.

I think it was inferred in class that you would move all the particles at once - this really seems contradictory and not necessary to me - at least in the context of evolving the system via mc steps.

I also don't see the detailed balancing is violated any more than one particle is moved - yeah, the probability of finding the same state is much less compared to moving one particle and the probability of selecting that same particle and moving back to the same state...

Having to store these positions in an array would seem a penalty in itself (ok, you do so when doing one particle - but in this case the memory/cycles go up by a factor of n, n + 1, being the number of particles we choose at once, and the one to store the actual particle number selection). But again, maybe that's trivial...

To me, its still a sort of markov chain - maybe I am overlooking something obvious...

Ok, just wondering if I am barking up the right tree/path!

This maybe way out of whack to ask this question(s) I commute to class, prof is typically unavailable - and thus generally I am doing this in total isolation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello and thank you for sharing your project. It sounds like you are on the right track with your approach of selecting 20 particles at random and doing the displacement. As you pointed out, there would be a penalty in terms of memory and cycles when compared to moving one particle at a time. However, this may be a trivial penalty and so it is worth exploring further. I think it is important to consider detailed balance as well. It sounds like you have a good understanding of the concept and how it relates to your project.

It is understandable that you feel isolated while working on this project since your professor is typically unavailable. Have you considered reaching out to other students or faculty members who could provide feedback and help you confirm that you are on the right track? Additionally, you might want to look into online resources such as forums and discussion groups to ask your questions and get advice from people who may have more experience with Monte Carlo simulations and Lennard-Jones fluids.

What is Monte Carlo without detailed balancing?

Monte Carlo without detailed balancing is a computational technique used in statistical physics to simulate complex systems. It involves randomly sampling a large number of possible states of the system to calculate its overall behavior.

How does Monte Carlo without detailed balancing differ from regular Monte Carlo?

In regular Monte Carlo, the system is simulated under the principle of detailed balance, which means that the probabilities of transitioning between states are equal in both directions. In Monte Carlo without detailed balancing, this principle is not followed, and the probabilities of transitioning between states are not necessarily equal.

What are the limitations of Monte Carlo without detailed balancing?

One limitation of Monte Carlo without detailed balancing is that it can only simulate equilibrium systems, meaning systems that have reached a steady state. It also requires a large number of simulations to accurately represent the behavior of the system.

What are the advantages of Monte Carlo without detailed balancing?

Monte Carlo without detailed balancing can be used to simulate systems with complex interactions and non-equilibrium behavior, making it a powerful tool in studying these systems. It also allows for the study of systems with non-reversible processes.

How is Monte Carlo without detailed balancing used in scientific research?

Monte Carlo without detailed balancing is used in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, biology, and economics. It is often used to study the behavior of complex systems, such as protein folding, chemical reactions, and economic markets. It can also be used to predict the behavior of systems under different conditions and to optimize processes.