Monty Hall - Multiple solutions via direct calculation?

In summary, the Wikipedia article is applying Bayes' Rule to determine the probability of winning the prize, but it is not a formal proof incorporating switching doors or not.
CynicusRex
Gold Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem#Direct_calculation

I understand the problem and why it is better to always switch. Now, I want to prove it by myself via a direct calculation. Before I start I wonder if the direct calculation on Wikipedia is the only solution or are there multiple ways of getting there. This question goes for other probability problems too.

I'm thinking there are more calculations possible depending on the question you ask?

Physics news on Phys.org
TheBlackAdder said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Hall_problem#Direct_calculation

I understand the problem and why it is better to always switch. Now, I want to prove it by myself via a direct calculation. Before I start I wonder if the direct calculation on Wikipedia is the only solution or are there multiple ways of getting there. This question goes for other probability problems too.

I'm thinking there are more calculations possible depending on the question you ask?
There are always more than one way to work the arithmetic. You can also change the question: Is there a way that Monty can choose which door to open that would make it harder to win? ... or easier to win?

There is always another way, and the one on Wikipedia is frankly ridiculous. This is all you need:

• P(choose right first time) = ## \frac 13 ##
  • P(prize is behind your door) + P(prize is behind the other unopened door) = 1
  • P(prize is behind your door) = P(choose right first time)
  • P(prize is behind the other unopened door) = ## 1 - \frac 13 = \frac 23 ##

Likes CynicusRex
Argh, spoiler. Thanks though, but it isn't a formal proof incorporating switching doors or not.

Oh sorry if that is along the lines you were thinking, I was assuming that you had been misled by the Wikipedia article into performing unnecessary calculations with decision trees and conditional probabilities and God knows what.

The Wikipedia article is applying Bayes' Rule. That is the standard fundamental method to adjust probabilities when new information is obtained. It breaks down the probabilities into individual parts that can be determined (relatively) routinely and then added up. Other approaches are either disguising Bayes' Rule or are using special logic without explaining. The use of special logic allows alternative answers that cause people to argue endlessly.

There is no "special logic" in the approach in my post #3, although I accept it could be stated more rigorously.

MrAnchovy said:
There is no "special logic" in the approach in my post #3, although I accept it could be stated more rigorously.
In your second line, all the probabilities are conditional on there being no prize behind the open door. So their values have changed from the original probabilities. In this case, the probabilities are easy to adjust, but they are not the same as those same probabilities were before the door was opened. So you are mixing probabilities before and after the door was opened without a notation change. That is just using Bayes' Rule without the clear conditional notation.

Likes CynicusRex

1. How does the Monty Hall problem work?

The Monty Hall problem is a famous probability puzzle named after the host of the game show "Let's Make a Deal." It involves three doors, two of which hide goats and one of which hides a car. The player initially chooses a door, and then the host opens one of the remaining doors to reveal a goat. The player is then given the option to switch their choice to the remaining unopened door. The question is whether it is beneficial for the player to switch or stick with their initial choice.

2. What is the correct solution to the Monty Hall problem?

The correct solution to the Monty Hall problem is to switch doors. This may seem counterintuitive, but by switching, the player increases their chances of winning the car from 1/3 to 2/3. This can be proven mathematically through direct calculation or by simulating the game multiple times.

3. Why is the solution to the Monty Hall problem controversial?

The solution to the Monty Hall problem has sparked controversy and debate since it was first posed in the 1970s. Many people argue that the probability should remain 1/2 even after the host reveals a goat, while others believe that switching is the correct choice. This is due to the counterintuitive nature of the problem and the fact that it goes against our intuition and common sense.

4. Are there other variations of the Monty Hall problem?

Yes, there are many variations of the Monty Hall problem that have been proposed over the years. Some include more doors, more prizes, or different rules for the host. However, the basic premise of the problem remains the same - the player is given the opportunity to switch their initial choice after being shown information by the host.

5. How is the Monty Hall problem relevant in real life?

The Monty Hall problem may seem like a simple game show puzzle, but it has real-life applications in fields such as statistics, probability, and decision-making. It demonstrates the importance of understanding probability and the potential consequences of making decisions based on intuition rather than data. It also highlights the role of framing and how the way information is presented can influence our choices.