Top Classical Albums of 2005: Which to Buy & DVD Player to Play It

In summary, the only one I've seen before is the Essential Yo Yo Ma. Although, I'm new to this and own just a couple of CDs, I don't think I'll go with any of those.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Science news on Phys.org
The only one I've seen before is the Essential Yo Yo Ma. Although, I'm new to this and own just a couple of CDs, I don't think I'll go with any of those. Some of the performers listed are famous (Yo Yo Ma and Johsua Bell, for example), but these are, in general, more "modern" (if I may use the term) renditons. For violin, you may want to check some Itzhak Perlman or Yehudi Menuhin CDs. But that's just my opinion.

Last edited:
Bah. Don't bother buying any of those. They probably aren't worth their money at all (although 'The art of violin' DVD is a good buy)

There are plenty of videos on youtube that you can see. For example this one:

[MEDIA=youtube]QCwhn7iv9zc[/MEDIA]&search=piano%20concerto[/URL]

Magnificent performance by Daniel Barenboim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bladibla said:
Bah. Don't bother buying any of those. They probably aren't worth their money at all (although 'The art of violin' DVD is a good buy)

There are plenty of videos on youtube that you can see. For example this one:

[MEDIA=youtube]QCwhn7iv9zc[/MEDIA]&search=piano%20concerto[/URL]

Magnificent performance by Daniel Barenboim.[/QUOTE]

I do not own a tv, and will not back down after i told the bbc what i thought of them and where they can stick there license fee, so i need a dvd player of some sort, as i am deaf in one ear stero would be a waste money, i imagine speakers are important.

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
I do not own a tv, and will not back down after i told the bbc what i thought of them and where they can stick there license fee, so i need a dvd player of some sort, as i am deaf in one ear stero would be a waste money, i imagine speakers are important.
Dear, could you please tell us what you have? I guess it takes less time (perhaps no time)...:tongue:

<runs and hides>

wolram said:

Sorry..I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

Bladibla said:
Sorry..I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

Well the only electronic sound reproducer i have is a clock radio, i have never owned a dvd player or any other type of musical entertainment, so
what i need is a decent sound player, if i went to a shop i would not know
what to look for.

Lisa, not a lot, and it gets less all the time. :smile:

Wolram all those DVDs are "best ofs", except for the violin sonatas. If you ar going to do claasical you should get some solid works too, maybe the Mozart Jupiter symphony or any of Beethoven's nine, etc. It's just like not starting your library with a bunch of books of quotations.

selfAdjoint said:
Wolram all those DVDs are "best ofs", except for the violin sonatas. If you ar going to do claasical you should get some solid works too, maybe the Mozart Jupiter symphony or any of Beethoven's nine, etc. It's just like not starting your library with a bunch of books of quotations.

I lke Beethoven, i found out today that there was two of them, and some of those violin players are so good, who are they?

1. How were the top classical albums of 2005 chosen?

The top classical albums of 2005 were chosen based on a combination of critical acclaim, commercial success, and impact on the classical music industry. A panel of experts in the field of classical music reviewed and ranked the albums based on these criteria.

2. Can you provide a list of the top classical albums of 2005?

Yes, the top classical albums of 2005 are "Bach: The Art of Fugue" by Pierre-Laurent Aimard, "Bartok: Concerto for Orchestra" by Simon Rattle and the Berlin Philharmonic, "The Chopin Collection" by Martha Argerich, "Hilary Hahn Plays Bach" by Hilary Hahn, and "Mozart: Le Nozze di Figaro" by Rene Jacobs, among others.

3. Are these albums available on DVD as well?

Yes, most of the top classical albums of 2005 are available on DVD. However, it is important to check the specific album or artist to make sure it is available in DVD format.

4. How can I choose which of these albums to buy?

Choosing which top classical album of 2005 to buy depends on personal taste and preferences. It is recommended to listen to samples of the albums and read reviews to make an informed decision.

5. Do I need a special DVD player to play these albums?

No, most standard DVD players are capable of playing classical music DVDs. However, it is always best to check the specifications and compatibility of your DVD player before purchasing a specific album.