1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More Complex Analysis

1. Mar 21, 2009 #1
    two questions here:

(i) my notes say that [itex]\frac{1}{e^{\frac{1}{z}}-1}[/itex] has an isolated singularity at [itex]z=\frac{1}{2 \pi i n}, n \in \mathbb{Z} \backslash \{0\}[/itex]

i can't see this though.....

(ii) let [itex]b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. show

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \cos{(2bx)} dx = e^{-b^2} \sqrt{\pi}[/itex]

we take a rectangular contour [itex]\Gamma[/itex] with vertices (R,0) , (R,b) , (-R,b) , (-R,0)
    this integrand is holomorphic on the entire complex plane so Cauchy's Theorem tells us that

[itex]\int_{\Gamma}e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)} dz=0[/latex

now we define
    [itex]\gamma_1[/itex] between (-R,0) and (R,0)
    [itex]\gamma_2[/itex] between (R,0) and (R,b)
    [itex]\gamma_3[/itex] between (R,b) and (-R,b)
    [itex]\gamma_4[/itex] between (-R,b) and (-R,0)
    so that [itex]\Gamma= \gamma_1 \cup \gamma_2 \cup \gamma_3 \cup \gamma_4[/itex]

now on [itex]\gamma_2[/itex] we use Jordan's lemma

the length of the curve is b

and we have [itex]|e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)}| \leq |e^{-z^2}|[/itex] as [itex]|\cos{(2bz)}| \leq 1[/itex]

we parameterise [itex]\gamma_2[/itex] by [itex]z=R+it, t \in [0,b][/itex]

so [itex]|e^{-z^2}| = |e^{-(R+it)^2}| \leq e^{t^2-R^2} \leq e^{b^2-R^2}[/itex]

so [itex]\int_{\gamma_2} e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)} dz \leq be^{b^2-R^2} \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex]R \rightarrow \infty [/itex]

and [itex]\gamma_4[/itex] vanishes simlarly

my problem is how to treat [itex]\gamma_3[/itex]. is it meant to be rearranged so that we get the integral over [itex]\gamma_3[/itex] is proportional to the integral over [itex]\gamma_1[/itex]. i was going to say it ISN'T because we want it to be non-zero so that the integral over [itex]\gamma_1[/itex] doesn't end up as 0.

this is what i've been trying:

parameterise [itex]\gamma_3[/itex] by [itex]z=z+ib , x \in [-R,R] [/itex]

[itex]\int_{\gamma_3} f(z) dz = \int_R^{-R} e^{-(x+ib)^2} \cos{(2b(x+ib))} dx[/itex]

do i continue down this road or am i supposed to be using Jordan's lemma here:

[itex]|e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)}| \leq |e^{-z^2}| = |e^{-x^2} e^{-2ixb} e^{b^2}| = |e^{b^2-x^2}| \leq e^{b^2}[/itex] as [itex]x \in [-R,R][/itex] and the length of this contour is b so

we'd end up with our desired integral being equal to [itex]-be^{b^2}[/itex] which is a bit off

any advice...........

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi latentcorpse! :smile:

When z = 1/2nπi, 1/z = 2nπ1, so e1/z = 1.
    Wouldn't it be easier to write cos(2bx) = Re(e2bxi), and then complete the square ? :wink:

4. Mar 22, 2009 #3
    of course it would lol. i'm such a tool. i literally just finished reading that part of my notes before trying this question and completely ignored them!
    oh well ..... learn by doing examples eh?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook