Complex Analysis Questions: Singularities and Integrals

In summary: DIn summary, my notes say that the function 1/e^(1/z) has an isolated singularity at z=1/2πi, where z is in the range -∞ to ∞. I can't see this though.
latentcorpse
two questions here:

(i) my notes say that [itex]\frac{1}{e^{\frac{1}{z}}-1}[/itex] has an isolated singularity at [itex]z=\frac{1}{2 \pi i n}, n \in \mathbb{Z} \backslash \{0\}[/itex]

i can't see this though...

(ii) let [itex]b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. show

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \cos{(2bx)} dx = e^{-b^2} \sqrt{\pi}[/itex]

we take a rectangular contour [itex]\Gamma[/itex] with vertices (R,0) , (R,b) , (-R,b) , (-R,0)
this integrand is holomorphic on the entire complex plane so Cauchy's Theorem tells us that

[itex]\int_{\Gamma}e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)} dz=0[/latex

now we define
[itex]\gamma_1[/itex] between (-R,0) and (R,0)
[itex]\gamma_2[/itex] between (R,0) and (R,b)
[itex]\gamma_3[/itex] between (R,b) and (-R,b)
[itex]\gamma_4[/itex] between (-R,b) and (-R,0)
so that [itex]\Gamma= \gamma_1 \cup \gamma_2 \cup \gamma_3 \cup \gamma_4[/itex]

now on [itex]\gamma_2[/itex] we use Jordan's lemma

the length of the curve is b

and we have [itex]|e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)}| \leq |e^{-z^2}|[/itex] as [itex]|\cos{(2bz)}| \leq 1[/itex]

we parameterise [itex]\gamma_2[/itex] by [itex]z=R+it, t \in [0,b][/itex]

so [itex]|e^{-z^2}| = |e^{-(R+it)^2}| \leq e^{t^2-R^2} \leq e^{b^2-R^2}[/itex]

so [itex]\int_{\gamma_2} e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)} dz \leq be^{b^2-R^2} \rightarrow 0[/itex] as [itex]R \rightarrow \infty [/itex]

and [itex]\gamma_4[/itex] vanishes simlarly

my problem is how to treat [itex]\gamma_3[/itex]. is it meant to be rearranged so that we get the integral over [itex]\gamma_3[/itex] is proportional to the integral over [itex]\gamma_1[/itex]. i was going to say it ISN'T because we want it to be non-zero so that the integral over [itex]\gamma_1[/itex] doesn't end up as 0.

this is what I've been trying:

parameterise [itex]\gamma_3[/itex] by [itex]z=z+ib , x \in [-R,R] [/itex]

[itex]\int_{\gamma_3} f(z) dz = \int_R^{-R} e^{-(x+ib)^2} \cos{(2b(x+ib))} dx[/itex]

do i continue down this road or am i supposed to be using Jordan's lemma here:

[itex]|e^{-z^2} \cos{(2bz)}| \leq |e^{-z^2}| = |e^{-x^2} e^{-2ixb} e^{b^2}| = |e^{b^2-x^2}| \leq e^{b^2}[/itex] as [itex]x \in [-R,R][/itex] and the length of this contour is b so

we'd end up with our desired integral being equal to [itex]-be^{b^2}[/itex] which is a bit off

any advice...

Physics news on Phys.org
latentcorpse said:
(i) my notes say that [itex]\frac{1}{e^{\frac{1}{z}}-1}[/itex] has an isolated singularity at [itex]z=\frac{1}{2 \pi i n}, n \in \mathbb{Z} \backslash \{0\}[/itex]

Hi latentcorpse! :smile:

When z = 1/2nπi, 1/z = 2nπ1, so e1/z = 1.
(ii) let [itex]b \in \mathbb{R}[/itex]. show

[itex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{-x^2} \cos{(2bx)} dx = e^{-b^2} \sqrt{\pi}[/itex]

we take a rectangular contour …

Wouldn't it be easier to write cos(2bx) = Re(e2bxi), and then complete the square ? :wink:

of course it would lol. I'm such a tool. i literally just finished reading that part of my notes before trying this question and completely ignored them!
oh well ... learn by doing examples eh?

Related to Complex Analysis Questions: Singularities and Integrals

What is "More Complex Analysis"?

"More Complex Analysis" is an advanced branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers, functions, and their properties. It extends the concepts of real analysis to the complex plane and allows for a deeper understanding of mathematical structures.

What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, defined as the square root of -1. Complex numbers are essential in "More Complex Analysis" as they form the basis of many functions and equations.

What are the key concepts in "More Complex Analysis"?

The key concepts in "More Complex Analysis" include complex numbers, functions, limits, derivatives, integrals, and series. These concepts are used to study the behavior and properties of complex functions and provide a deeper understanding of the complex plane.

What are the applications of "More Complex Analysis"?

"More Complex Analysis" has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to solve complex problems, model real-world phenomena, and develop new mathematical techniques and theories.

What are some common techniques used in "More Complex Analysis"?

Some common techniques used in "More Complex Analysis" include the Cauchy-Riemann equations, the residue theorem, contour integration, and the Cauchy integral formula. These techniques are essential in solving complex problems and proving theorems in the field.