Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More corruption? Curt Weldon (R); Harry Reid (D)

1. Oct 14, 2006 #1
    Two more (unrelated) congressional scandals seem to have bloomed in the same week. Being quite jaded, I'll throw them together into one thread to save time.

Rep. Curt Weldon (R-Pa) is accused of abusing his influence in lobbying contracts awarded to his daughter in 2002-2004. The FBI opened an investigation, and state Democrats are using the accusation as a campaign point. Meanwhile, on the other end of the Capitol, Sen. Harry Reid (D-Nevada) is accused of falsyfing financial disclosure forms involving a 2001 real estate transaction.

None of the articles I've looked at give enough information to figure out whether these accusations are valid and interesting, or whether they're merely smear campaigns (in the theme of "Swift Boat" and "Alabama National Guard" of 2004). My main interest in this thread is seeing if any PF'ers understand finance laws well enough to explain the situation (I'm clueless).

By the way, Weldon is in a swing district, and the media sensation may very likely cost him his seat.

http://today.reuters.com/news/artic...ID.xml&WTmodLoc=PolNewsHome_C2_politicsNews-5

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061014/ap_on_go_co/congressman_investigation

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

would certainly be corruption - but at this point, it is being investigated.

doesn't necessarily constitute corruption unless the price for the land was well above the prevailing market value for similar property. Certainly such matters should be properly disclosed according to requirements by Senate rules.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?