More human population = greater mass?

In summary: This is a difficult question. If the mass and distance of everything is the same, then the force of gravity would be the same. However, if the mass and distance of everything were different, then the force of gravity would be different.
blofse
Hi everyone!

This is my first post on this forum so please, if I have missed something please let me know!

I have a lot of questions to ask but this is the main/first question in my mind right now!

As I understand things, everything in the universe has mass (or anti-mass) and everything that has mass exerts gravity (depending on density). Every human has mass and a very low level of density meaning they exert a small amount of gravity and they have a small amount of weight.

So with all that in mind, as the population of humans increases exponentially, does the Earth either weigh more, less and does it shrink or contract due to humans?

The way I see it, although we can't have any more material mass on earth, what about biological?

Please start my education and stop my ignorance!

Thank you for reading and I hope you can reply!

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
First of all, note that biological mass is material mass.

But setting that aside, the mass to form a baby and the mass to grow must come from somewhere, in most cases, food. This food would have already been on Earth, and so its mass as a whole doesn't change.

Ok thanks for the correction and speedy reply.

Good point about food. In fact, its a rather annoyingly simple answer. I shall go and have a think about this - one thing, don't we convert some of the food to energy (which has no mass)?

blofse said:
Don't we convert some of the food to energy (which has no mass)?

Or does it? I'm pretty sure that GR predicts that energy basically does have mass, as modeled by ##E=m\cdot c^2##

blofse said:
Ok thanks for the correction and speedy reply.

Good point about food. In fact, its a rather annoyingly simple answer. I shall go and have a think about this - one thing, don't we convert some of the food to energy (which has no mass)?

When food is converted into energy its chemical bonds are broken (or new ones are formed) and energy is released. Those bonds have some very slight mass, and the resulting energy has the same very slight mass.

Going back to your original post, I'd like to point out that it's total mass and distance that determines force of gravity. Google tells me that the Earth's average density is about 5.5 g/cm3, compared to a human's density of about 1 g/cm3 (ie about the same as water). You'll note that the Earth has much more than 5.5 times the force of gravity than a human body. This is because of its much greater total mass, not density.

At the risk of confusion, if the Earth were compressed so its mass remained constant but its density went up, the force of gravity would increase. The reason is that the distance would go down. As mentioned above distance and mass are the two factors that determine force of gravity. Making the Earth smaller, but with the same mass (ie more dense) would make you closer to each atom of the Earth, and thus increase the force of gravity.

DaleSwanson said:
When food is converted into energy its chemical bonds are broken (or new ones are formed) and energy is released. Those bonds have some very slight mass, and the resulting energy has the same very slight mass.

Ok.
So just to be clear, and to check my understanding - when food is grown from the soil, that is made of all the mass from the materials from the earth. We then eat that food, convert most to energy and the rest to waste mass.

At no point along this chain is any mass lost, i.e. it is constant thoughout.

Is this right?

What you guys are saying is life on Earth has NO impact on the Earth's size. In fact, neither does anything else - except external factors such as asteroids/solar energy etc.

If that's true then good. Got it :-)

DaleSwanson said:
At the risk of confusion, if the Earth were compressed so its mass remained constant but its density went up, the force of gravity would increase. The reason is that the distance would go down. As mentioned above distance and mass are the two factors that determine force of gravity. Making the Earth smaller, but with the same mass (ie more dense) would make you closer to each atom of the Earth, and thus increase the force of gravity.

Thanks. That's a good reminder of school physics makes me realize I have forgotten a few facts - whoops!

Another question your going to like - does that mean then that if there is a town/country with a very high population density, does this have a greater gravity then other like-for-like land masses? Obviously a like-for-like may not actually exist, but in theory if it was the same shape, made of the same matieral etc etc...
Or is there something else I have missed...

blofse said:
Ok.
So just to be clear, and to check my understanding - when food is grown from the soil, that is made of all the mass from the materials from the earth. We then eat that food, convert most to energy and the rest to waste mass.

At no point along this chain is any mass lost, i.e. it is constant thoughout.

Is this right?

Yes. One note: one of the materials used is carbon dioxide, which technically is not from soil, but from the air. But it doesn't change the overall mas of the Earth, as when we talk about mass of the Earth, we include mass of the air.

Ok so that means we have a finite population we can reach, as there is a finite (well, ~constant) amount of mass on earth.

Presuming we can't leave the Earth that is...

The original post should have just said, "everything that has mass exerts gravity" without the parenthetical remark about density. Density doesn't have anything to do with it. The amount of gravitational force that a body feels depends upon that body's mass, the mass of the thing it is gravitationally interacting with, and the distance between it and that thing.

cepheid said:
The original post should have just said, "everything that has mass exerts gravity" without the parenthetical remark about density. Density doesn't have anything to do with it. The amount of gravitational force that a body feels depends upon that body's mass, the mass of the thing it is gravitationally interacting with, and the distance between it and that thing.

It was more a question of gravity that a human body creates rather than what it feels. So in that context, density does matter - doesn't it?

I am not sure I am missing something here - so please bear with me!

blofse said:
It was more a question of gravity that a human body creates rather than what it feels. So in that context, density does matter - doesn't it?

I am not sure I am missing something here - so please bear with me!

No, density matters neither for gravity exerted nor felt. Look up Newton's Universal Law of Gravitation.

Ok thanks - will do.

The law of conservation of mass is clear that humans may increase in mass, individually and collectively, but the resources do come from the Earth. So no mass is added, it is just moved around.

1. What is the relationship between human population and mass?

The relationship between human population and mass is complex and multifaceted. As the human population grows, the total mass of human beings also increases. However, this increase in mass is not solely due to the number of people, but also factors such as increased consumption and waste production. Additionally, the distribution of population and its impact on resources and the environment also play a role in the relationship between human population and mass.

2. How does the growth of human population impact the environment?

The growth of human population has a significant impact on the environment. As the population increases, more resources are needed to sustain them, leading to deforestation, pollution, and depletion of natural resources. The increase in waste production also contributes to environmental degradation. Additionally, the distribution of population and urbanization can also have negative effects on the environment.

3. Is there a limit to how much mass the Earth can support?

There is no definite answer to this question as it is a topic of ongoing debate among scientists. Some argue that the Earth has a carrying capacity, and if the human population continues to grow, it will eventually exceed this limit. Others believe that technology and innovation can help sustain a larger population. However, it is clear that the Earth's resources are finite and must be managed sustainably to support the human population.

4. How does the increase in human population affect biodiversity?

The increase in human population has a significant impact on biodiversity. As more land is cleared for human settlement and agriculture, natural habitats are destroyed, leading to the loss of biodiversity. The exploitation of natural resources also contributes to the decline of species. Additionally, human activities such as pollution and climate change also have negative effects on biodiversity.

5. Can we sustain a continuously growing human population?

This is a difficult question to answer as it depends on various factors such as resource management, technological advancements, and lifestyle changes. However, it is clear that our current consumption and waste patterns are not sustainable in the long term. To support a continuously growing human population, we must find ways to reduce our impact on the environment, promote sustainable practices, and improve resource management.