More on Infinity: Why Does Balloon Analogy Not Describe Universe?

• Thread starter Pjpic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary: then physicists have been thinking about this for a very long time and they have come up with a variety of ways to deal with it.
Hurkyl said:
The big bang started with high temperatures ...
You can only extrapolate back to a certain interval in time. During that time, our universe was denser, hotter, and its radius was increasing. So far, that fits the criteria for the word, explosion.

Hurkyl said:
... and I'm not sure in what sense one could say that energy has been released...
The Big Bang defines a certain interval in time. There was, as far as anyone can know, a beginning to our universe. So, as far as we can be concerned, at some time in the past there was a humongous release of energy manifested as an expanding, superdense primordial fireball. Notice I put fireball in italics. :smile:

NASA release 98-75, May 6, 1998:
" A recently detected cosmic gamma ray burst released a
hundred times more energy than previously theorized, making it the
most powerful explosion since the creation of the universe in the
Big Bang."

Hurkyl said:
You describe an event where some buildup of potential energy was converted into thermal energy, which subsequently propagated through space. Neither of these features resemble the big bang theory.
I'm not exactly saying that. We can't say what the universe is propagating through, or what precipitated it, or what medium or media existed before it -- just that it's behavior resembles the aftermath of an explosion. That there was a great deal of thermal energy involved is a feature of every account of the various Big Bang scenerios that I've read. And insofar as there are quantities of kinetic and thermal energy involved it follows that there was an energy potential which preceded them.

Here's a quote from the first Big Bang guy:
"The evolution of the world can be compared to a display of fireworks that has just ended; some few red wisps, ashes and smoke. Standing on a cooled cinder, we see the slow fading of the suns, and we try to recall the vanishing brilliance of the origin of the worlds." Lemaitre

Hurkyl said:
How about... 'the big bang'?
The Big Bang satisfies the criteria for the term, explosion. One reason for calling it an explosion is that explosions have certain salient features that might prove to be heuristically rich in developing models of the origin and evolution of our universe. Not to mention that you can study explosions in laboratories.

Space news on Phys.org
ThomasT said:
The Big Bang satisfies the criteria for the term, explosion. One reason for calling it an explosion is that explosions have certain salient features that might prove to be heuristically rich in developing models of the origin and evolution of our universe. Not to mention that you can study explosions in laboratories.
(emphasis mine) This is exactly what you cannot do. The fallacious line of reasoning is common enough that it even has a name: false analogy. Yes, the big bang has some superficial similarities to the things we usually describe as 'explosions' -- but you cannot push the analogy too far. And I'm pretty sure that asserting we can learn about the big bang by studying terrestrial explosions counts as pushing the analogy too far.

superdense primordial fireball
For example, the BBT was most certainly not a fireball. One reason (among several, I believe) is that the BBT was too hot to be a fireball!

So, as far as we can be concerned, at some time in the past there was a humongous release of energy manifested as an expanding,
Again, I don't see in what sense energy was released. The energy was already there, and already thermal during the big bang -- the BBT does not speculate about the 'origin' of that energy. And since there's nowhere else for it to go, all of that energy is still here. (at least, to whatever degree conservation of energy makes sense in GR)

Last edited:
Explosions happen IN Space/Time.

The BB happened TO Space Time. Before the BB there was no space time, after the BB there is expanding space time. It is only after the BB that there is any space for an explosion to occur in. Surely you can see that the expansion of space/time itself is not the same as and explosion in space time.

Integral said:
Before the BB there was no space time...
How do you conclude that? I think that nothing in GR indicates that statement to be definitely true.

It seems we either have an expanding 'actual' infinite space or an unbounded finite space. Both of these seem like oxymorons to the lay customer.
An expanding shockwave within a larger infinite space or an expansion through a higher spatial dimension would make an easier sale. Because, with either; the greater universe becomes unbounded and non-expanding and this is easier to grasp.

Chapter 1 of Lee Smolin's book "Three Roads To Quantum Gravity" - ("There Is Nothing Outside The Universe") - helped me a lot towards a layman's understanding of this thing we call our "universe".

It seems we are constantly trying to paint a picture in our heads, but this picture is an imagined "God's eye" POV and assumes a spatial universe populated by "things". What Lee Smolin suggests is that there simply is no "God's eye" perspective, it is an illogical/impossible concept. And the universe consists not of things, but processes. So it is impossible to picture a "snapshot" of the universe, because no such thing exists, it is rather a dynamic and relativistic thing and we are enmeshed within it in a deep fundamental sense.

Sometimes I think our quibbling over "finite vs infinite universe" belies a fundamental misunderstanding of relativity and spacetime reality. We think too much in "spatial" terms only.

Just my layman's 2cents!

That 'nothing outside the universe' thing really confuses people. Mathematicians easily grasp this notion. It is set theory 101. A set is a self contained grouping of numbers with relational properties [they interact]. There is no claim other numbers do not exist, merely that they are meaningless [do not interact]. It's hard to wrap your head around this unless you are well versed in mathematics. It's also difficult to explain to those who are not.

Chronos said:
That 'nothing outside the universe' thing really confuses people. Mathematicians easily grasp this notion. It is set theory 101. A set is a self contained grouping of numbers with relational properties [they interact]. There is no claim other numbers do not exist, merely that they are meaningless [do not interact]. It's hard to wrap your head around this unless you are well versed in mathematics. It's also difficult to explain to those who are not.
I disagree with the notion that this is some kind of a fact and that anyone who does not see that is not math savvy enough.

We simply do not know if there is only one possible universe in existence. Please tell me what laws or what theory excludes the existence of more than one universe? In GR there is absolutely nothing that excludes that, on the contrary; for instance the extended Schwarzschild solution is a simple example where two different universes could be connected. Obviously we can argue whether such solutions are physical, but it is going to far IMHO to state as a fact that there is only one possible universe in existence.

Hurkyl said:
This is exactly what you cannot do.
What, you're saying that you can't study explosions in laboratories? Sure you can. Or, are you saying that there's nothing about the Big Bang that lends itself to laboratory study?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2005-04-19-big-bang-mystery_x.htm

Hurkyl said:
Yes, the big bang has some superficial similarities to the things we usually describe as 'explosions' -- but you cannot push the analogy too far.
All I'm saying is that it deserves some consideration in that nobody really knows yet just how far the analogy might be extended. It might be possible to improve on the current, standard Big Bang representation.

Hurkyl said:
And I'm pretty sure that asserting we can learn about the big bang by studying terrestrial explosions counts as pushing the analogy too far.
I'm not so sure.

Hurkyl said:
For example, the BBT was most certainly not a fireball. One reason (among several, I believe) is that the BBT was too hot to be a fireball!
Yes, that's why I put fireball in italics. It was more like some sort of plasma at the point of departure of the Big Bang theory. A photon plasma? Did the universe ever go through anything resembling a fireball epoch?

Hurkyl said:
Again, I don't see in what sense energy was released. The energy was already there, and already thermal during the big bang ...
Ok, it isn't necessary to speak in terms of energy release in order to keep the explosion analogy. After all, the Big Bang account starts some time after the initial event.
Hurkyl said:
... -- the BBT does not speculate about the 'origin' of that energy.
Ok.

Hurkyl said:
And since there's nowhere else for it to go, all of that energy is still here. (at least, to whatever degree conservation of energy makes sense in GR)
Here is where looking at our universe as evolving from an explosion in some medium of unknown and unknowable structure might be helpful. Assume that a finite (if incomprehensibly huge) amount of kinetic energy was imparted via the initial explosive event. This leads to a high rate of expansion of the resultant universal scale wavefront, and extremely high temperature of the volume circumscribed by that boundary.

As the expansion proceeds, it, in general, slows down, and the temperature of the universe, in general, decreases -- a finite amount of kinetic energy was imparted (taking many different forms within our universe) and that energy is dispersing and dissipating.

Viewed as an explosion, it's readily apparent that our universe is bounded wrt both space and time. The dominant energy is the kinetic energy of the expansion. All other forms of energy, all behavior (including gravitational) is a byproduct of this energy. But the allotted universal energy is being used up by the expansion and internal events.

There won't be any Big Crunch (the mechanics of the universe slowing down, coming to a stop, more or less, and then reversing and becoming, in effect, an advanced rather than a retarded wave would be very interesting if they weren't impossible) because the mechanics of our universe preclude it (just like the mechanics of our universe preclude broken teacups spontaneously reassembling themselves, etc.).

Rather our universe will simply reach equilibrium with whatever medium it's a disturbance in, and will then quietly cease to exist.

Cryptonic said:
Chapter 1 of Lee Smolin's book "Three Roads To Quantum Gravity" - ("There Is Nothing Outside The Universe") - helped me a lot towards a layman's understanding of this thing we call our "universe".

It seems we are constantly trying to paint a picture in our heads, but this picture is an imagined "God's eye" POV and assumes a spatial universe populated by "things". What Lee Smolin suggests is that there simply is no "God's eye" perspective, it is an illogical/impossible concept. And the universe consists not of things, but processes. So it is impossible to picture a "snapshot" of the universe, because no such thing exists, it is rather a dynamic and relativistic thing and we are enmeshed within it in a deep fundamental sense.

Sometimes I think our quibbling over "finite vs infinite universe" belies a fundamental misunderstanding of relativity and spacetime reality. We think too much in "spatial" terms only.

Just my layman's 2cents!

Cryptonic, thanks for bringing the discussion back to traditional meanings! There is a lot of sense to what you say, and to the quote from Smolin that comes through.
Traditionally the universe has always meant all that exists or considered as process it is all physical process, all that happens.

there cannot be more than one, simply by definition.

what interferes with this is a temporary fad (lasting a century or so I expect) of equating the universe with a certain mathematical idea of limited validity, namely a connected region of spacetime which is a solution to certain equations, namely vintage 1915 General Relativity!

If someone is aggressively promoting that vintage 1915 view, then when GR encounters a singularity (a theory breakdown) they will call that a boundary, and whatever might be on the other side they will consider to be a different universe!

But that is obviously an artifact of the GR theory which has broken down. GR is currently being replaced by quantized versions of GR which do not experience a singularity at the big bang or at the pit of a black hole. therefore our universe does not end there in the new theoretical context.

if there is a contracting region prior to our big bang, it is part of our universe (and we call it a big bounce :smile:). if there is an expanding region continuing from the pit of a black hole then it too is part of our universe.

so we can go back to the traditional centuries-old meaning of the word---all process, all existence.

logically there can only be one, by definition. it's in the etymology (uni-) as everyone can see.

we still need could use a convenient term for our part, a bit like the Romans' name for the Mediterranean Sea---I believe they called it "Mare Nostrum".
Our Part would be everything coming after the onset of expansion, everything after the bang/bounce, and excluding everything that might be wildly sprouting from the pits of black holes. A nice trim FILLET of universe, that we can call our own proper turf.

Maybe someday the sematic kinks will get worked out and the current tug-of-war over the world-word will be forgotten.

Anyway, thanks for the post. Glad to be reminded of Smolin's Three Roads!

ThomasT said:
What, you're saying that you can't study explosions in laboratories? Sure you can. Or, are you saying that there's nothing about the Big Bang that lends itself to laboratory study?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/discoveries/2005-04-19-big-bang-mystery_x.htm

What Hurkyl means (or at least, what I think he means) is that, if you decide to draw analogies and compare the "big bang" to an explosion, then it is certainly not the kind of "explosion" that can be recreated in the lab. Regardless of any popular science articles or news stories you try and use, this is a fact. In fact, the 'standard model' of cosmology does not say anything about the "birth" of the universe; it merely states that the universe was once in a state that was a lot hotter and denser than it is today. Now people try and extrapolate back to "t=0" and find that their theory has a singularity, but really all this means is that the theory they are using breaks down. There have been models that have tried to "bounce through" the singularity, but these have not been proven as of yet.

There seem to be a lot of misconceptions, or at best misunderstandings of each others' words floating around in this thread. Anyway, I should mention that personal theories are not permitted here at PF, unless in the Independent Research forum. I urge all participants in this thread to adhere to that rule.

cristo said:
What Hurkyl means (or at least, what I think he means) is that, if you decide to draw analogies and compare the "big bang" to an explosion, then it is certainly not the kind of "explosion" that can be recreated in the lab.
Various sorts of explosions in various media have certain things in common. And there is credible research being done wrt Big Bang, or initial cosmological explosion event (not necessarily synonymous with Big Bang) if you prefer, analogous, laboratory produced explosions.

cristo said:
Regardless of any popular science articles or news stories you try and use, this is a fact.
It's a fact that hundreds of experiments aimed at simulating cosmological explosions and primordial cosmological conditions have been done. With the large hadron collider there will be even more of these sorts of experiments. So, I'm not sure what you're saying.

cristo said:
In fact, the 'standard model' of cosmology does not say anything about the "birth" of the universe; it merely states that the universe was once in a state that was a lot hotter and denser than it is today.
Yes, but the limitation on backward extrapolation wrt the standard cosmological model doesn't prohibit thinking of the beginning of the universe as an explosion, does it?

cristo said:
Now people try and extrapolate back to "t=0" and find that their theory has a singularity, but really all this means is that the theory they are using breaks down. There have been models that have tried to "bounce through" the singularity, but these have not been proven as of yet.
OK

cristo said:
There seem to be a lot of misconceptions, or at best misunderstandings of each others' words floating around in this thread. Anyway, I should mention that personal theories are not permitted here at PF, unless in the Independent Research forum. I urge all participants in this thread to adhere to that rule.
Thanks for your (and others) input. I'm not looking to advance any sort of personal theory. My motive in first posting in this thread was that the balloon analogy didn't seem at all commonsensical to me. It still doesn't. So, I posted what did seem to me to be a commonsensical overview of the universe, and this met with some resistance.

Here are some links to papers that pertain to aspects of what's being discussed here:

"Cosmological" quasiparticle production in harmonically trapped superfluid gases
Authors: Petr O. Fedichev, Uwe R. Fischer
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0303063

Analogue models for FRW cosmologies
Authors: Carlos Barcelo (University of Portsmouth), Stefano Liberati (University of Mayland), Matt Visser (Victoria University of Wellington)
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0305061

Cosmology with a shock wave
Authors: Joel Smoller, Blake Temple
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/9812063

Cosmology, Black Holes and Shock Waves Beyond the Hubble Length
Authors: Joel Smoller, Blake Temple
http://arxiv.org/abs/math-ph/0302036

The Big Bang quantum cosmology: The matter-energy production epoch
Authors: V. E. Kuzmichev, V. V. Kuzmichev (Bogolyubov Institute for Theoretical Physics)
http://arxiv.org/abs/0712.0464

The Fluid Mechanics of Gravitational Structure Formation
Authors: Carl H. Gibson (Univ. Calif. San Diego)
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0610628

Analogue models for FRW cosmologies
Authors: Carlos Barcelo (University of Portsmouth), Stefano Liberati (University of Mayland), Matt Visser (Victoria University of Wellington)
http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0305061

The evolution of the Universe
Authors: Juan Garcia-Bellido
http://arxiv.org/abs/hep-ph/0303153

Big bang simulation in superfluid 3He-B -- Vortex nucleation in neutron-irradiated superflow
Authors: V.M.H. Ruutu, V.B. Eltsov, A.J. Gill, T.W.B. Kibble, M. Krusius, Yu.G. Makhlin, B. Placais, G.E. Volovik, Wen Xu
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/9512117

Resolution of Cosmological Singularity and a Plausible Mechanism of the Big Bang
Authors: D.C. Choudhury
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0111425

Testing cosmological defect formation in the laboratory
Authors: T.W.B. Kibble
http://arxiv.org/abs/cond-mat/0111082

cristo said:

To amplify, an additional point could be made. Cosmology is a mathematical science, which means the emphasis is on fitting data to mathematical models of the universe----

not to verbal descriptions, and not to mechanical analogs. So if someone wants to offer an alternative to the conventional LCDM model, they are expected to provide a specific mathematical model (not some purely verbal scenario, or generalities about labwork from condensed matter to engineering.)

By coincidence I happen to have looked at few of the papers that ThomasT just listed, not recently but must have glanced at some in the past as an occasional title rings a bell. My impression is that what I saw did not actually challenge the LCDM model in the sense of offering a substitute. In what I saw, the experiments with material serve primarily as ways to illustrate aspects of the conventional model and explore its limits. In the end, the results always get interpreted in the context of conventional cosmology with its FRW metric. I can't say for sure but that's my impression: someone else may have more definite things to say.

The thing to remember is that a material model does not replace the mathematical one, though it may show things about it. It is important not to push material analogy too far---a lab demonstration may nicely illustrate some behavior but still have limited applicability as something you can fit real astronomical data to.

ThomasT,
unless you can show us a mathematical model that is different from the standard LCDM, then you appear to be arguing on a purely verbal level-----the message being some vague generality like "explosion good! balloon bad!". But neither explosions nor balloons actually model anything.

ThomasT said:
Here is where looking at our universe as evolving from an explosion in some medium of unknown and unknowable structure might be helpful. ...
You're not helping your case -- you've just spouted a big pile of incorrect ideas that one could get by pushing the explosion too far. For example:

1. GR does not involve any extradimensional physics -- all the dynamics of GR are purely intrinsic. Even if we take a viewpoint where we embed the observable universe in a higher-dimensional space-time, whatever happens in those extra dimensions is completely irrelevant to the goings-on in the observable universe.

2. In GR, the big crunch is not a thermodynamic impossibility -- if the bulk composition of the universe is right (e.g. overall matter density, cosmological constant), it is something certain to happen. (Although I don't know if it's merely thermodynamically certain, or absolutely certain)

Last edited:

I appreciate the citation; I'll check it out - other cites would also be appreciated. But, I don't know if it is psychologically possible to stop about thinking it until something infinitely large is finally found.

It almost seems like there are axioms that state 'we don't need infintiy in our discipline therefore it need not exist.' This does not seem how scientists would usually approach a subject that still has great mystries to resolve.

Pjpic said:

It almost seems like there are axioms that state 'we don't need infintiy in our discipline therefore it need not exist.' This does not seem how scientists would usually approach a subject that still has great mystries to resolve.

Einstein said "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." The first part of that is a traditional scientific principle called Occam's Razor.

This principle goes back hundreds of years. Applied to a mathematical science like cosmology, it says don't put stuff in your model that isn't needed.

So far this applies to extra dimensions. You can put extra dimensions in your model, if you want. But so far I find that the simpler models with 4D spacetime are working just as well. I keep an open mind, so whenever I see a 5D model that works noticeably better, then I will eagerly consider it.

I don't know any professionals who are close-minded about this, or who treat 4D as an axiom.
=================

About infinity, you are misinformed. The great majority of professional cosmologists use a infinite spatial volume model for most of their work. The main reason is because it is simpler to calculate with.

the standard cosmology model, LambdaCDM, comes in two versions: either space is infinite volume or it is finite volume, depending on how you set the numbers up in the model. They typically use the infinite version. Both fit the data OK but the infinite version is easier to calculate with.
But there is no rigid doctrine about this. The professional community is open-minded. I see plenty of evidence that the finite space version is being considered.

You depict cosmologists as being close-minded and doctrinaire in preferring the finite version. This is a very unflattering picture applied to a large group of people as a kind of stereotype. I would say this picture is totally wrong---you have things turned around backwards. I'm curious how you got the idea.

===================

About which way the universe actually IS in reality, there is no use discussing since at this point we simply don't know!
the practical question is which mathematical model works better and fits the data better---for the time being cosmologists will use the model that works best: that fits the data and makes the calculations easy.

Last edited:
I'm curious how you got the idea.

===================

Far be it from me to promote a negative stareotype. Thats why I used the phrases "it almost seems" and "this does not seem like".

I have read things like: we don't need an extra dimension, it is meaningless to discuss what is "outside" the balloon, there is nothing beyond our finite unbounded space. These lead me to think the 5d universe is not really part of current thought. But if you say it is, then I suppose it is.

Pjpic said:
These lead me to think the 5d universe is not really part of current thought. But if you say it is, then I suppose it is.

What did I say?

I keep an open mind, so whenever I see a 5D model that works noticeably better, then I will eagerly consider it.

I don't know any professionals who are close-minded about this, or who treat 4D as an axiom.
=================

I took this to mean that the 5d model is still considered a possibility. Which leads me to think, doubtless incorrectly, that the balloon analogy doesn't necessarily break down.

Pjpic said:
I have read things like: we don't need an extra dimension, it is meaningless to discuss what is "outside" the balloon, there is nothing beyond our finite unbounded space...

Where have you read such statements?

Let's have some actual quotes with links to source. Not merely fragments taken out of context because whoever you are quoting might have qualified by saying things like "in thus and thus version of the model" or "in the case where space is finite"...

Quoting out of context is generally considered unethical or dishonest. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that.

marcus said:
Where have you read such statements?

Let's have some actual quotes with links to source. Not merely fragments taken out of context because whoever you are quoting might have qualified by saying things like "in thus and thus version of the model" or "in the case where space is finite"...

Quoting out of context is generally considered unethical or dishonest. I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that.

Let me run some of those down. There must have been many qualifiers. Though I don't want to pretend that I understand them or to let my inadaquate attempts at pecision needlessly obfustate the materiality of the question (of if the balloon analogy is an officially accepted possibility for a model of the universe).

Pjpic said:
... These lead me to think the 5d universe is not really part of current thought. But if you say it is, then I suppose it is.

marcus said:
What did I say?

Pjpic said:
I keep an open mind, so whenever I see a 5D model that works noticeably better, then I will eagerly consider it.
I took this to mean that the 5d model is still considered a possibility...

So you misrepresented what I said. You pretended that I said that a 5D universe is part of current thought.
I did not say that, nor would I ever say such a thing.

Would you consider apologizing for misquoting me? I think the important issue here is not cosmology or 4D versus 5D. It has rather more to do with the ethics of honest discussion. Would you agree?

That's the trouble with infinities - any discrete number may emerge at random.

Pjpic, I think that you are confused about the search for the value of omega. Astronomers have been trying to determine a value for omega, the density of the universe, which describes the ultimate fate of the universe. If the universe is open, (omega less than one) then it expands forever. If it is closed (omega greater than one) then the universe “crunches” back into a singularity at some point. Otherwise, the universe is flat (omega equals one) and expands forever while slowing gradually but never stopping. Within this description, an open universe is described as infinite and a closed universe as finite. However, the size of the universe at any fixed time is always finite. The universe expanded from a finite volume smaller than an atom at a finite rate, and therefore, to its current finite size. It has never expanded at an infinite rate, nor has it yet to expand for an infinite amount of time, therefore it simply cannot currently be infinite in size. The term “infinite universe” describes an open universe whose fate is to expand forever, nothing more. Thus the balloon analogy does apply, in that a finite space expands unbounded forever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimat...f_the_universe

None of this requires a higher dimensional space, however some scientists are proposing that events before the Big Bang may be determined by using data from the WMAP. This may provide scientific evidence for an extradimensional “hyperspace” description that is currently only conjecture. Dr. Lisa Randall also presents an argument for an extradimensional space where gravity leaks into our universe.
http://discovermagazine.com/2006/jul/interview-randall/

Remember though, the existence of a hyperspace that cannot be proven will never be scientific.

Last edited by a moderator:
marcus said:
So you misrepresented what I said. You pretended that I said that a 5D universe is part of current thought.
I did not say that, nor would I ever say such a thing.

Would you consider apologizing for misquoting me? I think the important issue here is not cosmology or 4D versus 5D. It has rather more to do with the ethics of honest discussion. Would you agree?

I'm sorry if my misunderstanding has somehow offended your sense of ethics.

However, the size of the universe at any fixed time is always finite.

That entire answer will help me, thanks. The part where you say the universe is finite is still tricky for me. Because, in my lexicon, finite means there is an end point. I suppose set of ten marbles could be finite and yet not have an end point. Is this the concept?

Pjpic said:
However, the size of the universe at any fixed time is always finite.
That is simply untrue.

If a spacetime is closed it is finite and if it is flat or open it is infinite. The same with a 3D space inside such a spacetime, in a flat of open spacetime the volume of any past or future light cone is infinite at any point in time.

Pjpic said:
I'm sorry if my misunderstanding has somehow offended your sense of ethics.

Try quoting exactly, rather than attributing your own paraphrase to someone else.
You need to apologize for misrepresenting (not for misunderstanding).

MeJennifer, a light cone is a projection into the future or past:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_cone
That is why it can be infinite. As I pointed out, a finite universe that starts smaller than an atom and that expands at a finite rate cannot be infinite in size until an infinite time has passed. I don’t see how this can be untrue.

Arch2008, the universe that we observe at each instance is contained in our past light cone. In each instance there could be an infinite number of galaxies inside such a light cone unless it is a closed spacetime.

Arch2008 said:
...Astronomers have been trying to determine a value for omega, the density of the universe, which describes the ultimate fate of the universe. If the universe is open, (omega less than one) then it expands forever. If it is closed (omega greater than one) then the universe “crunches” back into a singularity at some point. Otherwise, the universe is flat (omega equals one) and expands forever while slowing gradually but never stopping. Within this description, an open universe is described as infinite and a closed universe as finite. However, the size of the universe at any fixed time is always finite. The universe expanded from a finite volume smaller than an atom at a finite rate, and therefore, to its current finite size. It has never expanded at an infinite rate, nor has it yet to expand for an infinite amount of time, therefore it simply cannot currently be infinite in size. The term “infinite universe” describes an open universe whose fate is to expand forever, nothing more. Thus the balloon analogy does apply, in that a finite space expands unbounded forever.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimat...f_the_universe

Arch you have it basically right, but your link to WikiP doesn't work and if one fixes it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_fate_of_the_universe
then we get them saying that a closed universe does NOT necessarily crunch

==quote your Wiki article==
Closed universe

If Ω > 1, then the geometry of space is closed like the surface of a sphere. The sum of the angles of a triangle exceeds 180 degrees and there are no parallel lines; all lines eventually meet. The geometry of the universe is, at least on a very large scale, elliptic.

In a closed universe lacking the repulsive effect of dark energy, gravity eventually stops the expansion of the universe, after which it starts to contract until all matter in the universe collapses to a point, a final singularity termed the "Big Crunch," by analogy with Big Bang. However, if the universe has a large amount of dark energy (as suggested by recent findings), then the expansion of the universe can continue forever – even if Ω > 1.
==endquote==

since 1998, with dark energy estimated at 70-75 percent, Crunch is not talked about much as a possibility. So closed does not mean crunch.
When people say closed they usually mean spatial closed. That is, finite volume space. At anyone moment the volume is finite, although it is increasing with time. Like the surface area of the balloon (the 2D analogy for 3D space)

===============================
Jennifer let's make sure we are using the same definitions. What do you call a spacetime that is spatially flat, with Omega = 1, with positive cosmological constant?
I assume you call it flat, even though the spacetime is not geometrically flat, it is only spatially flat.

What do you call a spacetime that is spatially closed, with Omega > 1 and with positive cosmological constant---say sufficient dark energy to cause indefinite expansion?

I know your posts are usually very well-informed and helpful. But I don't understand this one. In many cases I am used to thinking of past lightcones as finite volume---the usual teardrop shape.

Let's agree to base volume on proper distance---observers at rest with respect to Hubble flow, or CMB if you wish.

MeJennifer said:
If a spacetime is closed it is finite and if it is flat or open it is infinite. The same with a 3D space inside such a spacetime, in a flat of open spacetime the volume of any past or future light cone is infinite at any point in time.

I'm not sure what some of this means.
Couldn't we have a spatial flat universe, with Omega = 1, where the past lightcone has finite volume and the future lightcone has infinite volume?

Last edited by a moderator:
MeJennifer said:
Arch2008, the universe that we observe at each instance is contained in our past light cone. In each instance there could be an infinite number of galaxies inside such a light cone unless it is a closed spacetime.

Again I'm not sure I understand your terminology, Jennifer. What if I have Omega = 1 so things look approximately like our universe? Just as an example.
Say the particle horizon is 45 billiion LY, about like ours.
It seems to me that within that horizon there is only a finite volume of space, a finite amount of matter, a finite number of galaxies.

But from what you say it sounds as if we can't expect to have a finite number UNLESS the universe is closed, though in my example we do have a finite number and the universe is not spatially closed.

Maybe there is a verbal problem, or something I'm not getting: could you clarify what you mean by "there could be an infinite number of galaxies inside such a light cone unless it is a closed spacetime"?

MeJennifer, I’m still not getting the simple truth where a finite universe expands at a finite rate for a finite time and then somehow becomes infinitely large at any point in time less than infinity.

Thanks for clarifying that Marcus. In this article of “my Wiki” it says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy
“In the Friedmann-Lemaître-Robertson-Walker metric, it can be shown that a strong constant negative pressure in all the universe causes an acceleration in universe expansion if the universe is already expanding, or a deceleration in universe contraction if the universe is already contracting. More exactly, the second derivative of the universe scale factor, is positive if the equation of state of the universe is such that w < − 1 / 3.”

Which I though meant that a “crunching” universe would just do so more slowly, but not stop, under the effects of DE.

Arch2008 said:
Which I though meant that a “crunching” universe would just do so more slowly, but not stop, under the effects of DE.

that's right. The important thing to realize is simply that Omega > 1 does not imply crunch.
In your Wiki article, the term CLOSED has been taken over to mean Omega > 1
which means spatial closure.
In the Wiki article's terminology (which is pretty common) a closed universe does not necessarily crunch.

In our universe, with 70-75 percent dark energy, crunch is typically not taken as a serious possibility, but spatial closure----meaning Omega > 1-----certainly is! In fact the current estimates for Omega are lopsided on the positive side of 1----more around 1.01.

I'm just an onlooker---retired math person interested in cosmology. I follow the research literature and occasionally talk to astrophysicists at the university where I live. By studying major articles by leading people I get an impression of where the field is going. All I can do is report as accurately as I can. More and more often, I see the top cosmologists considering the case of closed universe, i.e. finite spatial volume, as well as---in addition to--the simpler and dominant case of Omega = 1. So when they analyze new data they may very well analyze it for both cases. In other words squeeze an extra column in the table, or another data-oval diagram, an extra curve plotted or an extra table of numbers. It is more work, more calcluation, but apparently the possibility is real enough to warrant it.

In neither case would crunch be involved---I'm talking typical big mainstream papers (not marginal stuff on the fringe that nobody much reads.)

It's a mathematical possibility of course, but so out of touch with observational data that it's not worth people's time thinking about.

Last edited:
Arch2008 said:
MeJennifer, I’m still not getting the simple truth where a finite universe expands at a finite rate for a finite time and then somehow becomes infinitely large at any point in time less than infinity.

Arch, it could always be possible that Jennifer uses words in her own way. She may talk in a way that confuses you because she doesn't mean the same thing that Wikipedia does. I don't think Jennifer would ever say that the universe can abruptly switch from being spatial finite to spatial infinite!

I don't know for sure, because Jennifer has not defined how she is using words like closed, flat, open, finite, infinite. Until she does, I wouldn't worry about any apparent contradiction, since it could simply be verbal.

If we stick to the Wikipedia terminology (pretty common in my experience) a CLOSED universe is simply one with Omega > 1. That means spatial closure, it doesn't mean that there is going to be a crunch (which would be a kind of time-axis closure, a finiteness of the whole spacetime, but that usage of words is confusing to most people, I think).

It is possible that when Jennifer says closed universe or closed spacetime she means something different from what your Wikipedia article does! Same with when she says finite. I don't know. That could be the basis for her contradicting you several times. I asked for clarification earlier, and hopefully she will tell us. Maybe Cosmology forum needs a Sticky thread with basic definitions.