How many people in a group would you expect to have the same birthday?

• Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation covers two topics: the probability of getting a flush in poker from 2000 hands and the probability that each person in a group of 40 has a different birthday. The first question is solved using a formula and the answer is 4, while the textbook says 3. The second question involves a misunderstanding of the correct formula.
Procrastinate
In poker, you are normally dealt a hand of 5 cards. A flush has all cards of the same suit.
From 2000 hands, how many flushes would you expect?
P(flushes from 2000 hands) = 12/51*11/50*10/49*9/48*2000=3.9616 (4) but the textbook says 3.24 (3)

Did I do something wrong?

A group of 40 people are surprised to find that 2 people have the same birthday. What is the probability that each person has their birthday on a different day?

Tried 38/364*37/363*36/362...but I just don't think that it was meant to be that long. Could someone please give me a hint on this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
Procrastinate said:
In poker, you are normally dealt a hand of 5 cards. A flush has all cards of the same suit.
From 2000 hands, how many flushes would you expect?
P(flushes from 2000 hands) = 12/51*11/50*10/49*9/48*2000=3.9616 (4) but the textbook says 3.24 (3)

Did I do something wrong?

A group of 40 people are surprised to find that 2 people have the same birthday. What is the probability that each person has their birthday on a different day?

Tried 38/364*37/363*36/362...but I just don't think that it was meant to be that long. Could someone please give me a hint on this question?

Your answer for the first one looks correct to me. The second one doesn't look right at all. You do have to multiply a lot of numbers to get the answer for 40 people. But those aren't the right numbers.

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty.

2. What is the difference between probability and odds?

Probability and odds are both ways of expressing the likelihood of an event occurring. However, probability is a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the total number of possible outcomes, while odds are a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the number of unfavorable outcomes.

3. How do you calculate probability?

To calculate probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

4. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are events where the outcome of one event does not affect the outcome of the other event. Dependent events are events where the outcome of one event does depend on the outcome of the other event.

5. How do you use probability in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as predicting the weather, analyzing stock market trends, and making decisions in gambling or game scenarios. It can also be used to assess risk and make informed decisions.