Is the Relativistic Mass of Light Affecting Quantum Experiments?

• Thread starter ptabor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hup
In summary, the conversation discusses a link about a groundbreaking quantum physics experiment conducted by Cornell University. The experiment involves measuring the movement of a superconducting single-electron transistor by shooting photons at it. The issue of whether the lights in the room affect the outcome of the experiment is brought up, but it is clarified that the actual measurement process is what causes the movement, not the presence of light.
Physics news on Phys.org
Question. When they say this ["We made measurements of position that are so intense -- so strongly coupled -- that by looking at it we can make it move," said Schwab] this means they made it move by shining photons of light on it, which of course have "relativistic mass" and thus could act as a force to cause movement--correct ? In other words, if they had made their measurements in complete (100 %) darkness no movement would have been detected--correct ?

I wasn't clear on how the superconducting single-electron transistor is "looking".

In response to Rade:

You are correct in that measurement is the process of shooting photons (or something else) at a target. Doing the experiment in darkness won't make a difference, as you have to perturb the system to measure it.

It seems to me you're thinking that the lights in the room are affecting the outcome of the experiment. This isn't the issue, rather it's the issue of the actual measurement.

ptabor said:
...It seems to me you're thinking that the lights in the room are affecting the outcome of the experiment. This isn't the issue, rather it's the issue of the actual measurement.
Thank you. I was thinking of the relativistic mass of the light photons in the room as the cause of the experimental "movement" reported, I do not see how we get an "actual measurement" in this experiment without the lights in the room, thus I think this is the issue as you say for understanding the reported movement--but if I error please correct my thinking.

What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle (HUP)?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the precise position and momentum of a particle. This means that the more accurately we know the position of a particle, the less accurately we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

Why is it important to verify the HUP?

Verifying the HUP is important because it is one of the foundational principles of quantum mechanics and has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level. By verifying the HUP, we can better understand the limitations of our ability to measure and predict the behavior of particles.

How has the HUP been verified in the past?

The HUP has been verified through numerous experiments, including the double-slit experiment and the Stern-Gerlach experiment. These experiments have provided evidence that supports the principle that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty.

What methods can be used to further verify the HUP?

There are several methods that can be used to further verify the HUP, including more precise measurements of particle position and momentum, as well as experiments that test the principle in different scenarios. Additionally, advancements in technology and experimental techniques can also contribute to further verification of the HUP.

What are the implications of further verifying the HUP?

If the HUP is further verified, it could have implications for our understanding of the nature of reality at the subatomic level. It may also lead to advancements in quantum technologies and potentially even a better understanding of the universe as a whole.