Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mother who forgot her child was in car

1. May 4, 2012 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Unbelieveable, this woman forgot she had a child. Instead of dropping her child off at daycare before going to work, she just drove to work, completely forgeting about the child. Who on earth forgets that they have a child? The child died inside in the car with inside temperatures reaching over 120F.

Instead of arresting the woman, since she's from a good background
    Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/31010820/detail.html#ixzz1txOVDAtp [Broken]

At the same time a poor woman called 911 saying she couldn't find her child, which was found a couple of blocks away safe in it's stroller where she had forgotten him. She was arrested. Her child is fine.

http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/04/3593905/mother-charged-after-infant-found.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2012 #2
    what such a poor child.

4. May 4, 2012 #3

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"
    The mother is believed to have been under the influence of drugs at the time of the baby’s disappearance, Major Dan Nicodemus said."

Assuming this is true your summary of the situation is a bit of a white wash.

On the other hand if there's a one in 10 billion chance of you forgetting your kid in the car on a given day, then you expect to see this kind of thing happen once every couple of years (25 million children 0-5 http://www.childstats.gov/americaschildren/tables/pop1.asp, 365 days in a year).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. May 5, 2012 #4
    I don't think the mother left the child in the car to die on purpose.Assuming this is the case it makes sense that the mother shouldn't be punished.
    Though legally the idea not to punish people who did a crime not on purpose is slippery, because criminals will try to avoid punishment by saying they didn't intended to do what they did.so
    Practical solution is to check if they are telling truth.Though in the situation of the mother I think there are better ways to kill a child than to leave it in a car ;D

6. May 5, 2012 #5
    Appalling.

That was really unfortunate. This is not something trivial. People need to realise that mistakes like these can cost someone's life.

7. May 5, 2012 #6

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

I honestly don't understand how people can forget about other people they are driving, especially ones in their care. In addendum to a mother and child witness a care worker and an Alzhiemer's patient

8. May 5, 2012 #7

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sounds like the bus driver may have a touch of dementia...?

9. May 5, 2012 #8
    It's like those people who forget they're pumping gas and drive off with the pump still in their car. I don't understand that.

10. May 5, 2012 #9

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I disagree. That's why we have charges such as:

- criminal *negligence* causing death

- manslaughter

Who says that the killing has to be intentional? If your actions lead to the death of another human being, then you should face some consequences. Otherwise society would just be condoning this sort of egregious lack of responsibility from everyone.

11. May 5, 2012 #10
    I wouldn't say she's not facing any consequences. She lost her child. Is that not punishment enough?

12. May 5, 2012 #11

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I once forgot about a colleague who was locked out of the building. He called me if I could open the door, I said "yes, one minute". I never opened the door. He didn't die, but still I felt incredibly guilty. I agree with leroyjenkens: she's been punished enough. The situation would be different if she deliberately left the kid in the car.

13. May 5, 2012 #12
    See? There is a difference. The boy died.

14. May 5, 2012 #13

cepheid

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's criminal negligence. There's a reason such a crime exists. I think that she needs to held legally responsible for her actions. Do you really think that I am being too harsh?

I did not say that the sentence had to be severe. I understand that she is already suffering the psychological trauma and guilt from having inadvertently killed her own child.

15. May 5, 2012 #14
    Also, to add to what R.P.F. said, you're not responsible for what happens to your colleague, whereas a parent has total responsibility for their young child.

16. May 5, 2012 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You didn't get the point, forgetting about a child and leaving it unattended would have resulted in immense guilt already. I don't know how a parent can live, knowing that one is responsible for serious injury, or even death of a child.

17. May 5, 2012 #16
    Perhaps the fact that she was suspected of being under the influence of drugs was a large factor in that fact that she was arrested? I find it rather puzzling that you would omit such a detail.

18. May 5, 2012 #17
    Oh, how I wish guilt could just pay for everything. :yuck:

19. May 5, 2012 #18

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Yes. Is there any productive outcome of your method of handling the situation? I don't think so! If it would have been on purpose, you could have argued that you would be discouraging people from intentionally leaving their kids in the car for long hours (this would still be negligence if the mother wasn't trying to kill their kid.)

On the other hand, if she completely forgot, you're not going to discourage others from forgetting by making an example of this one (it's not something we consciously consider doing).

So, what's the point then? Retribution? "Justice?"

20. May 5, 2012 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If there's more than one person hanging around outside the car, then that's something that's easy to do. We did that once on a TDY with about 5 of us hanging around the gas pump. We're all thinking that surely at least one of the other four people took the nozzle out!

And a friend and I did that with the lug nuts on my car, which was quite a bit more upsetting. Funny, I've never made that mistake again. In fact, I helped my son change his tire and wound up calling him after I got home to make sure he tightened the lug nuts, because I didn't check them when we were done.

21. May 5, 2012 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Exactly, I was going to say the same.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook