How do I correctly calculate the height of a building using motion equations?

In summary, the problem involves a brick being thrown upward from the top of a building at an angle of 25 degrees to the horizontal with an initial speed of 15 m/s. After 3 seconds, the brick is 25 m below the top of the building. The equation used is y = v_{yi}t + 1/2(g)t^2, with g being -9.8 m/s^2 and y representing displacement. The confusion in finding the height of the building was due to a mix-up of positive and negative signs.
wowdusk

Homework Statement

A brick is thrown upward from the top of a building at an angle of 25 degrees to the horizontal. It's initial speed is 15 m / s. If the brick is in flight for 3 seconds, how tall is the building? Thanks for the help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought i could use delta y = (Vo*sin*25 degrees)t - 1/2gt^2
but when i plugged everything in i got 63.1m, which is different from my friends 25m. I thought i could use this equation because it seems i have every piece of it and i just needed to plug it in. Did i just find how high the brick was from the ground? I don't know how to find the height of building...i'm confused

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is good! Your math is not so good. Recheck your numbers.

i still cannot find out what i am doing wrong. My Vo is 15m/s, sin*25 degrees, time is 3 sec, g is -9.8m/s^2

i get the same answer

Whoops...i had g=-9.8, and it had to be a positive in order for this to work.

Thank you!

Last edited:
wowdusk said:
i still cannot find out what i am doing wrong. My Vo is 15m/s, sin*25 degrees, time is 3 sec, g is -9.8m/s^2

i get the same answer
You are getting mixed up on your plus and minus signs. If up is positive, then down is negative. I thought you had already built your minus sign into the equation, which should read [tex]y = v_{yi}t +1/2(g)t^2[/tex]. Then plug in g =-9.8. and y comes out to -25, indicating the displacement after 3 seconds is 25 m downward from the top of the building.

What is motion in 2 dimensions?

Motion in 2 dimensions is the movement of an object in two different directions, typically referred to as the x-axis and y-axis. This type of motion can be described using vectors, which include both magnitude (speed) and direction.

What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in 2D motion?

Scalar quantities in 2D motion only have magnitude, such as speed or distance. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or displacement.

How is the motion of an object in 2 dimensions represented mathematically?

The motion of an object in 2 dimensions is represented using vector equations, which involve both x and y components. These equations include the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both directions.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of 2D motion in which an object is launched at an angle and then moves along a curved path due to the influence of gravity. This type of motion is commonly seen in sports like baseball and in objects launched from a catapult.

How does air resistance affect the motion of an object in 2 dimensions?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the motion of an object in 2 dimensions. It can slow down the object's speed and also change its direction of motion. In some cases, air resistance can even cause an object to stop moving altogether.