Motion in a Plane: Solve for Horizontal Distance

In summary: T = {6 m/s * Sin(15 deg) + sqrt((6 m/s * Sin(15 deg))^2 - 4*(1/2*-9.8 m/s^2)*(-3 m))} / (2*1/2*-9.8 m/s^2)= 0.48 sTherefore, Horizontal Distance Moved = (0.48 s)*(6 m/s)*Cos(15 deg) = 2.63 mIn summary, the horizontal distance between the conveyer belt and the pipe is 2.63 m.
ktd
Here's the question:

Sand moves without slipping at 6.0 m/s down a conveyer that is tilted at 15 degrees. The sand enters a pipe 3.0 m below the end of the conveyer belt. What is the horizontal distance between the conveyer belt and the pipe?

For some reason, I'm having the hardest time with this question. On first glance, I automatically think of the kinematic equations, but for some reason I'm not sure how to use them here. What are the triangles here?

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start out by finding the X and Y compoents of the sands velocity. Then look at the kinematic equations again.

ok so I've found the components, but now what? This problem is totally annoying me!

ktd said:
Sand moves without slipping at 6.0 m/s down a conveyer that is tilted at 15 degrees. The sand enters a pipe 3.0 m below the end of the conveyer belt. What is the horizontal distance between the conveyer belt and the pipe?
{Horizontal Distance Moved From Conveyer After Time T} =
= T*(6 m/s)*Cos(15 deg)
{Vertical Distance Moved From Conveyer After Time T} =
= -T*(6 m/s)*Sin(15 deg) - (1/2)*g*(T^2) = (-3 m)

Solve 2nd eq for T and sub into 1st eq.
(Note all terms of 2nd eq have (-) since motion is downward.)

Related to Motion in a Plane: Solve for Horizontal Distance

1. What is "Motion in a Plane"?

"Motion in a Plane" refers to the movement of an object in a two-dimensional space, where both horizontal and vertical components are considered.

2. How do you calculate the horizontal distance traveled in "Motion in a Plane"?

To calculate the horizontal distance, we use the formula: distance = velocity x time. This means multiplying the object's velocity in the horizontal direction by the time it has been moving.

3. What are the units of measurement for horizontal distance in "Motion in a Plane"?

The units of measurement for horizontal distance are typically meters (m) or feet (ft), depending on the system of measurement being used.

4. Can the horizontal distance traveled in "Motion in a Plane" be negative?

Yes, the horizontal distance can be negative if the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive axis. This is often represented by using a negative sign in the distance equation.

5. How does the angle of launch affect the horizontal distance traveled in "Motion in a Plane"?

The angle of launch affects the horizontal distance traveled by changing the initial velocity of the object in the horizontal direction. A larger angle of launch will result in a greater horizontal velocity, leading to a longer horizontal distance traveled.