How High and Far Does a Soccer Ball Travel When Kicked?

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a soccer ball being kicked into the air without considering air resistance. The initial velocity of the ball is (4.63,3.83) m/s at a height of 10.07 m. The questions asked are: what is the maximum height reached by the ball, what is the horizontal distance traveled, and what is the velocity at which it hits the ground. The equation y=1/2gt^2+Viy*t is suggested for finding the maximum height, but the necessary values for time and y are not known. Another equation is suggested, y=yo+tan(θ)x+g/(2v^2*cos(θ)^2)*x^2,
Psyguy22
Neglect air resistance for the following. A soccer ball is kicked from the ground into the air. When the ball is at a height of 10.07 m, its velocity is (vx,vy) = (4.63,3.83) m/s.
To what maximum height will the ball rise?
What horizontal distance will be traveled by the ball?
With what velocity (magnitude and direction) will it hit the ground?

I haven't started the second and third question yet. I wanted to use the equation y=1/2gt^2+Viy*t but I don't know what time or y is. Then I tried y=yo+tan(θ)x+g/(2v^2*cos(θ)^2)*x^2, but I don't have enough info to use it. Would I be wrong to move 10.07 to the origin, then use 0=1/2gt^2 to find maximum height?

Physics news on Phys.org
What the ball reaches its max height, what is its vertical velocity? How much time will that take from any known value of the vertical velocity?

dory, I was braindead last night. I figured out that the max height is 10.82 m and the range is 13.75 m. although the last one is still bothering me.
I found the time it took the ball to hit the ground from height=10.82 which was about 1.47 s. I used 1.47 in Vy=gt (because Vy at max height is 0) and came up with -7.355 m/s. so I used Pythagorean theorm to find the velocity when it hits the ground. I came up with 8.69 m/s and used atan(-7.355/4.63) to get -57.81 deg. But the site says its wrong. I don't know which number Is wrong or if I did a step wrong.

sorry*
guess I still am -_-

The max height and range you got are correct. The time from the max height to the ground is correct, too. However, the final vertical velocity is wrong. Calculate it again from the formula you have.

ohh.. I have bad handwritind -_- thank you. I did get the right answers

What factors affect the motion of a soccer ball?

The motion of a soccer ball can be affected by a variety of factors, including the force applied to the ball, the angle at which it is kicked, and the air resistance it encounters.

What is the difference between linear and rotational motion of a soccer ball?

Linear motion refers to the ball's movement in a straight line, while rotational motion refers to its spinning motion around its own axis.

How does the surface of a soccer ball affect its motion?

The surface of a soccer ball can greatly impact its motion. A smooth surface allows for less air resistance, resulting in a faster and straighter trajectory. A rough surface, on the other hand, creates more air resistance and can cause the ball to curve or swerve.

What is the Magnus effect and how does it apply to a soccer ball?

The Magnus effect refers to the phenomenon where a spinning object experiences a force perpendicular to its direction of motion. In the case of a soccer ball, this can result in a curved or swerving trajectory.

How can we use physics to improve our soccer skills?

By understanding the principles of physics that affect the motion of a soccer ball, players can use this knowledge to improve their skills. For example, by adjusting the angle and force of their kicks, players can control the trajectory and spin of the ball. They can also use the Magnus effect to their advantage by intentionally spinning the ball to create a curve or swerve. Additionally, understanding the effects of air resistance can help players anticipate and adjust for wind conditions on the field.